Possible to install iLife 08 on MBP from iMac disk?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ndriver182, Sep 4, 2007.

1. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

Simple question: Is it possible to install iLife 08 on my MBP from my iMac install disc? When you insert the disc it won't let you install because it does not identify the computer as an iMac.

2. rankl macrumors newbie

Mount the disk

you can do that in this way

Mount the disk using any disk mounting app (like disk utility). If you have received 2 disk with your imac, most probably iLife will be in the 2nd disk. then open disk to reveal contents, find iLife.pkg file drag onto your hard disk then click to install. Hope it will work.

3. ndriver182 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I actually did a google search to find out how to display "hidden" files in finder, which then displayed all of the iLife install packages, but then the problem I ran into was that when I tried to open the .mpkg files to run the installs I got an alert that says:

"You are attempting an unsupported installation. If you wish to install an individual application, please use the iLife installer and select the Custom button."

The problem is that if I try to run the bundled software installation from the 1st disc it won't allow me because it knows that my MBP is not the iMac. Catch 22 I guess.

Any thoughts? I found an app called Pacifist to browse inside of these .mpkg files and drag the contents to your desktop, but I have no idea what to do with these files once they've been extracted.

4. rankl macrumors newbie

Try this

Mount the disk on your imac then copy the .pkg file to your drive and transfer to your mbp. This should take care of the problem. Sorry if it doesn't work for you.

5. WillaBob macrumors newbie

WillaBob

Answer

Down Load "Pacifist" from versiontracker.com and use that to install it.
    It will work great.:)

6. kevdawg62 macrumors newbie

I'm Just wondering if anyone figured it out yet. heck I should only have to pay the 20 bucks difference to make a family pack version, come on 2 macs within a year throw me a bone!

7. t0ny macrumors newbie

t0ny

I got the 10.5 disks from a friend who killed his new mbp ( they do like beer...) and I've done some hacking to get them to work with my mbp2,2.

I did not install ilife with leopard.

But what I did was put in my old 10.4.x disks and told it to install iphoto. Then it asked me to insert the second disk and by mistake I put in the 10.5.x disk. But after it installed I ran iphoto and it was 08! :)

Good luck.

8. WillaBob macrumors newbie

WillaBob

Yes it works like I said!

Down Load "Pacifist" from versiontracker.com and put in disk 2 then you can use pacifist to install ilife app's one at a time.

Like I said It will work great.:) I did it on my G4 then realised it won't run on a my G4.

The iLife system requirements are G5 or intel.
    Looks like I will have to buy a new mac any way.
    Anyone want to buy my MDD(mirror drive door) Duel 1 Ghz G4 with 20" Wide screen and my 12" 867Mhz Power Book G4?

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

so i just want to install iphoto 08 i just click on iphoto and install that. I don't need that other stuff like apple intermediate codec or graphics app support or ilifecookie or ilife media browser?

10. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I've tried the pacifist method for this. Never actually got it to work. The installed apps don't launch and console shows a crash caused by a missing file... so I install that file, try again, same thing, different file in a different place. Over and over. Eventually I realized it wasn't worth mucking around that deep in the system files.

The short answer is yes, you need that other stuff too.

Edit- by the way, iLifecookie contains a file that just says BLANKFILEBLANKFILEBLANKFILE over and over again. I dragged it to my desktop to look at it but... I think it's invisible. It's probably still there.

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

dam i don't want to spend $80 for just iphoto 08 to make a stupid book.
    Is their an easy way to save a book that is already made then go into my brother's MBP with ilife 08 already installed and update it the book.

12. xlopez macrumors member

I don't know if you can do that about the book, but I suggest the following. My sister bought a Macbook that came with the iLife 08' disc. I just needed iPhoto so I just copied the application from her mac to an external HDD and then just dropped it in the applications folder of my mac. It overwrites iLife 06'. Instant update.

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

umm interesting... would it save albums etc.

14. xlopez macrumors member

Yes. As soon as you run the new iPhoto it tells you it has to "upgrade" the photo library so that it can take advantage of the new feature "Events". If you're not sure about this I suggest backing up your photos, but it worked out perfectly for me. As soon as it over (it took less than a minute) you'll have your updated iPhoto 08' library.

15. boffinboy macrumors newbie

boffinboy

I haven't tried the whole suite, but I did get iWeb'08 working from an iMac install disk on my macbook pro.

Assuming you are able to see invisible files (!) you will find the Packages folder on the second DVD. Inside that are the separate installers.

I control-clicked the iWeb.pkg to get at the package contents where you will find the Archive.pax.gz. Copy to your hard disk. Double click and allow it to unarchive. Inspect the folder structure of the unpackaged file. Put the files in equivalent folders on your mac.

This worked for me with none of the missing file messages mentioned above.

16. hunter3740, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011

hunter3740 macrumors member

This software cannot be installed on this computer.

In Finder (i.e. click on your desktop background or the two tone blue face in your Dock), go to the "Go" menu, and select "Go to Folder…" (or hold Shift and Command and type "g"), then type in "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install Disc 1/System/Installation/Packages", then double-click "Bundled Software.mpkg"; but, the same check (where you might get the alert "This software cannot be installed on this computer.") still applies as clicking the shortcut on the disk (i.e. when you put in the disk (or double-click the "Mac OS X Install Disc 1" DVD icon on your desktop), a popup window appears with a shortcut "Install Bundled Software Only".

If you know this is the specific install disk that came with your specific computer, there's a chance the .dist file could be corrupt. Make a disk image (Go menu, Utilities, Disk Utility: select the Install Disc on the left, then click the New Image button and just click Save--should place on your desktop), then edit that .mpkg file (i.e. Go to Folder, but replace "/Volumes/" with "~/Desktop/" from above directions), then right-click (or hold the Control key and click) on the .mpkg and select "Show Package Contents", then double-click on "Contents", then right-click on "Bundled Software.dist" and hover over "Open With" and select "Other…", then scroll down and select "TextEdit" and click the Open button. Then in TextEdit, go to the "Edit" menu, hover over "Find" and select "Find…" (or hold the Command key and type "f"), then type "var hwbeSupportedMachines" (note: this has changed slightly over the years, so perhaps just a "Machines" and use your cognitive skills) and click the Next button, which should take you to the line you need to edit. In the apple menu (i.e. apple icon in the upper left of your screen), select "About This Mac", then click the More Info… button, then look at the "Model Identifier:" and note what's to the right of it (e.g. "Macmini3,1"). This is where you will probably see a difference; go ahead and fix the typo (or just add ",'Macmini3,1'" inside the brackets), close the TextEdit window and click Save when prompted. Then right-click on that .dmg (Install Disc) and select "Burn "Mac OS X Install Disc 1" to Disc...".

Or really, just get into that second disk (in the hidden "Packages" folder), and double-click on any .pkg file to install the individual component; or, in the case of an .mpkg (e.g. iPhoto), show package contents, and in the Content/Installers folder, double-click iPhoto.pkg (and iPhotoContent.pkg); note: you may need iLifeMediaBrowser.pkg and iLifeCookie.pkg, back in the Packages folder (and may need to have 10.4.7, not 10.4.11); otherwise, just copy the iPhoto.app from someone else, and only run the iLifeMediaBrowser.pkg and iLifeCookie.pkg installers.