Possible to install iWork '08 on another MB?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JoshLV, May 15, 2008.

1. JoshLV macrumors regular

Ok so my room mate had iWork '08 on his MB and his MB got stolen. He still has the disk for iWork '08 and needs to type up a paper. Is it possible to install iWork on my MBP using his disk that was already installed previously on his MB?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes, although technically you are breaking the license agreement as the license is in use on the stolen machine.

3. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Yeah, you can do it easy.

Nothing special needed.

Apple relies on people getting a guilty conscious / being ignorant and not realizing they can to prevent pirating.

Please don't abuse their lack of anti-piracy methods though and decide to use that disk on every computer on campus. I'd rather Apple didn't stop making iWork because they don't get enough sells of it. ;) Get a family pack (the disk is identical... but Apple gets some extra bucks and your guilty conscious is lifted and the license agreement will allow it.)

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

iWork is serialized, so a valid key is needed.

As far as the appropriateness of reinstalling on a new machine because the prior one was stolen, I don't see any moral or legal dilemma there. The lawful/registered/paying customer still possesses the serial key and media, and will have it installed on a single machine. The other (stolen) is out of their control.

5. JoshLV thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the helpful replies. How would this be done if he only has one serial key? I assume that it must be registered, he only has the one serial code so how can this be done? During registration, wouldn't the download get denied?

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Dude, how about you just try it and see what happens?

What's the worst that can happen? You think your computer is going to blow up?

7. JoshLV thread starter macrumors regular

No I just don't want to get in trouble somehow ><

8. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Trust me,

you won't.

The CD-key isn't sent to some server where they make sure it hasn't been activated yet or anything. That would be a M$ thing to do... Apple makes everything simple.

I know it won't because I've installed a single user copy on all 6 of the computers in my house. All computers run it just fine. All computers can use it simultaneously. It doesn't matter.