possible to install leopard on blank/new HDD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by itou, Nov 10, 2008.

1. itou macrumors regular

i'm planning on upgrading my powerbook hdd by buying a new 250gb hdd. i've got leopard and want to use the opportunity to do a fresh install. is it possible to just take out the old hdd, pop in the new one, then install leopard from the dvd?

thanks.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Does a bear **** in the woods? Yes, put the DVD in and hit install (might have to hold C down to boot from the DVD).

3. itou thread starter macrumors regular

so i don't need to install first the discs that came with the powerbook right? i'm worried about that because it's been years since i've had to use it and i think i canned it a long time ago. so pop the dvd in, change the hdd, press and hold C, and boot?

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it is LITERALLY as simple as that.

nice native resolution as well, none of that ****** 640*480 crap windows uses :p

5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

You'll have to format the disk first, but yes, it IS just that easy :eek:

6. Elloise macrumors member

I did this, it was very straight forward.

I had initially plonked my intended target disk for the fresh OS in an external enclosure so that I could completely build my OS and apps up while keeping my macbook unchanged, this failed at the same point every time during OS install so I just swapped out disks. Because I had tried it the other way first, the disc was already formatted.

7. itou thread starter macrumors regular

how would you format the disk? i'm assuming that with the blank drive installed, there's no mac osx in there to format the drive? or are we talking about formatting the new hdd in an external case before swapping it in? or will the mac osx installation format the drive as well?

sounds easy but confusing. perhaps i'm thinking too much and should just wing it.

8. Elloise macrumors member

The leopard install DVD has disc utility on it, I believe you can select it from the menus within the installer if that's where you're booting from.

Edit - And from memory, I think you get the option to format during the process anyway.

9. Catch Them macrumors regular

like the others have stated.

1. Replace the HDD with the new one you want.
    2. Place the Leopard DVD in (should boot from it automatically however you may need to hold C or Option during boot to get to select it)
    3. Do you your full erase and install (this formats the drive during the process, so its all straight forward)

then your good to go, no need for the other disks at all.