Possible to install Mac Box Set single license on multiple computers?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lofight, Feb 18, 2009.

1. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

Is it possible to install the software that comes with the Mac Box Set with a single license on multipe computers?

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

There is nothing to prevent you from doing it... except, of course, your conscience. Buy the family pack. It isn't that much more, making it a very good deal in my opinion.

3. lofight thread starter macrumors 68000

lofight

So there are no serial codes, not even in iWork '09?
    I'm probably going to, but it was a technical question to look at Apple's point of view...

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

No serial codes. Just a EULA that makes it unlawful. A EULA that Apple does not seem to enforce against individuals.

But, yeah, do the right think and pony up the small additional amount for the family pack.

5. flanamac macrumors 6502

If I choose to work on two computers, one at home and one away, but it is still me using them, having the same software on both isn't getting used by two different people.

The extra charge for the family pack is because they assume more than one person is using the software at a time; however, what is to prevent two people from using the same computer, one after the other.

They are both benefiting from the software.

I understand the law says one thing, but that doesn't mean they are right.

What I understand that should be a violation is for someone to make copies and sell them for a profit, or make copies for use on computers they will not use.

Believe you me, if I have 10 computers I use for various purposes, that need the same operating system, but I use them all at different times, that software is traveling with me and I will put the same thing on all 10 and not think twice about it being "wrong" to do so.

Don't give me this "do the right" garbage. If you are not resting on the Word of God for your "right and wrong," then you have no basis for right and wrong. Period.

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....flanamac, this has been beaten to death in countless threads already, no need to start it all yet again....and you are confusing "single user" license with "single computer" license - there is a difference.....oh yeah!

7. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

Gotta go with Duffman on this one flanamac, Oh Yea!

It is an issue of moral right or wrong, whether you like it or not. God has nothing to do with it either. If your innate cheapness drives you to break contracts, go ahead and do it. Just don't try and take the moral high road when you do.

I sure as he!! would never want to do business with you, that's for sure.

Karma baby, karma:D

8. marosner macrumors newbie

God Does Not Publish Software

To add my two cents two years later...

A good argument I once heard for properly licensing software, aside from the obvious legal and ethical ones, was this: If you want good code to continue to be written, you should pay for it.