Possible to install Windows 8.1 Pro for Students on my Retina Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Yoshi Yogurt, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Yoshi Yogurt macrumors regular

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Since they're students, they actually can get it for free, completely. It's legal too.

Just have them go to dreamspark.com and sign up for a DreamSpark account as a student. They may need to provide verification by using a .edu email address or student ID.

I got Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro (same as 8.1 Pro but with all the extra stuff for mass-deployment in embedded devices) for free, by using a DreamSpark account.

Download the ISO from DreamSpark and then run Boot Camp Assistant. That's it.

3. Yoshi Yogurt thread starter macrumors regular

My school's dreamspark thing says Windows is required to get another Windows key! Talk about useless!

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Is that so?

I got all my DreamSpark keys from my Mac.

Even the DreamSpark download manager worked on my Mac.

5. Yoshi Yogurt, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015

Yoshi Yogurt thread starter macrumors regular

Not even joking. This is ridiculous and i would have done it via dreamspark a long time ago if I could.

"As per the DreamSpark Premium Usage Guidelines, you may NOT install a Windows Client Operating System (WinXP, Win7, Win8, etc.) obtained from the DreamSpark program on a computer if that computer is not already licensed to run a full version of a Windows Client Operating System as evidenced by a valid Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for a Windows Client Operating System affixed to the computer."

I am going to try and get it and see what happens....maybe it won't stop me....

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Even if you do end up getting the $70 license, the steps are still the same.

7. illusionx macrumors 6502

It will still work. It's just legally, you are not entitled to use a volume license if the computer did not come with a. OEM license.
    It's something stupid Microsoft did recently when windows 8 came out.

So technically, you cannot ever license a machine that did not come with Windows. But nothing, as a home user, prevents you from doing it.

You would only get into possible troubled if the machine was used in an enterprise where volume licenses are used. Microsoft pick random companies with volume licensing agreements and run audits.

8. Yoshi Yogurt thread starter macrumors regular

Do I need a flash drive or anything or does the ISO just download and I get a key to enter when Windows is done installing?

9. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Unless you purchased the retail version of the operating system.

Yes, you need an 8 GB flash drive. When you are ready to download the .iso file, a CD key should be provided. Write it down and enter it when asked.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

11. Yoshi Yogurt thread starter macrumors regular

I ordered myself a 16GB flash drive off amazon, since I only have old 1GB and 2GB ones I have been using.

Going to attempt to use the Dream Spark Windows 8.1

How exactly do I go about installing Windows. I know to use the bootcamp program and choose my partition size, but after that I really have no idea. Will bootcamp have me boot the windows ISO from the flashdrive?

I've installed windows on 2 computers I've built but that was off DVDs and very simple

12. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I hope you ordered USB 2.0 flash drives because USB 3.0 drives won't work.
    Format the new flash drive as FAT.
    Make sure you also partition it as MBR.
    Run Bootcamp Assistant and use the Windows ISO as the source and the newly formatted flash drive as the destination.
    Click the checkbox to download the latest Windows Bootcamp drivers.
    Bootcamp will copy the ISO to the flash drive, add in the drivers, and make it all bootable.
    It will then ask you what size Windows partition you want.
    After it makes the new partition it will reboot off of the new Windows flash drive.
    When you get to the point where it asks you where to install Windows you select the newly created Bootcamp partition.
    Windows will say that it's not compatible so use the advanced options right within the Windows installer to format the Bootcamp partition.
    Installation will then proceed from there.
    Your computer will reboot a few times and after Windows is installed, it will then proceed with the install of the Bootcamp drivers.

13. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Just open Boot Camp Assistant and follow the prompts.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Using the bootcamp utility on a rMBP will allow you to create a bootable thumb drive from the ISO you bought from MS.

15. illusionx macrumors 6502

Microsoft website says you need windows 7 to use 8.1. Unless I am missing something.

[​IMG]

16. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

You don't need Windows 7 to use 8.1.
    You need Windows 7 to make use of that particular offer.
    If you have Windows 8 you simply update to 8.1 for free and if you have anything older than Windows 7 you have to buy the DVD installer.

17. Yoshi Yogurt thread starter macrumors regular

Finally go my ISO and key but bootcamp keeps saying

"Can't download the software because of a network problem"

My internet is fine : (

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Is it trying to download the bootcamp utilities? Just skip that part and get them here:https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/bootcamp/ (I linked the drivers for MacBook Pros) You can then install them later after you install windows.

19. Yoshi Yogurt thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I got it my getting the support software from apple's site and putting it on the USB along with the windows install stuff. Worked perfectly. No idea why the bootcamp assistant can't access apple servers when I could just go get it myself just fine....