: Possible to keep apps/contacts and sync with fresh itunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by fosho14, Oct 25, 2012.

1. fosho14 macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

I have two younger brothers who share my desktop who have completely cluttered up my itunes with thousands of horrible songs and other garbage like drake. For this reason I just purchased software called iLibs by copytrans which will allow us to all have our own itunes libraries on the same computer. So I transferred all my favourite albums on to a fresh new itunes library and then plugged in my iphone so I could transfer some of the music on, but got an error message saying that the only way to do this was to completely erase my iphone.

To all the tech geniuses out there:

Is there any way for me to sync my iphone with the contents of the music that I have just imported into this fresh itunes without losing the apps/contacts that are on my iphone? Is it possible to only sync and replace the music on my iphone? What is the easiest way to do this? I don’t wanna lose my contacts/apps... God dam you apple!

***apologize for posting this thread in the wrong section earlier, mods/admins feel free to delete the other thread since it's just a duplicate.

Attached Files:

2. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

****ing. Sigh.

Dude literally all you have to do is click 'Sync Music' and select what you want. It's actually the SIMPLEST thing ever

3. fosho14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Step 1, learn to read.

In order for me to 'Sync Music' it requires that the iphone get completely wiped. I'm wondering whether my contacts and apps will be gone after I erase my iphone. Try to articulate and express yourself more relevantly to the question or don't respond. I'm looking for replies from knowledgeable itunes users who don't mind helping a brother out, not useless e-pests. *deep sigh*

4. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

No it doesn't... To sync your music all you have to do is erase the current music library you have.

5. fosho14 thread starter macrumors newbie

What are you talking about, did you not read the original post? It's a fresh itunes library...

6. jimmy575 macrumors member

This error message is very common and very confusing.

When it says "erase & sync" it is only talking about your music library, not anything like contacts or calendars.

So let it erase & sync, it will only overwrite your music with the music in this iTunes library. I promise your contacts and pictures will be fine.

If you are worried, just back your phone up first.

7. fosho14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for clearing up that murkiness jimmy. Respectful, concise, and on point. Hopefully Xbox-on-rocks, can learn something from this experience and pick up some basic interpersonal skills. Feel sorry for who ever has to work with that dude.