Possible to keep the back looking nice?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by docprego, Dec 14, 2007.

1. docprego macrumors 65816

I am so torn between the iPhone and the Touch. One of the major issues driving me to the iPhone (but certainly not the only reason) is the back panel. On the iPhone it is a really nice grey matte finish which appears that it would withstand a lot of use with no signs of wear. The Touch however has the mirror finish back like all iPods which looks like it will withstand no use at all. For me the appearance of the gadget is a very important part of the whole experience. Having a nasty back panel would bother me alot.

Is there a way to keep the Touch's back panel looking like new? Is putting it in a case from day one all that would be required? I am at a loss as to why Apple makes the iPod back panels out of this material, surely I can't be the only one to have this opinion?

Also what about the screen? It seems to be very scratch resistant but would a screen protector still be advisable? My friend has one on his iPhone and it reduces the fingerprinting a lot.

Anyway assuming I got a Touch how could I keep it in mint condition?

2. db2431 macrumors regular

Go here

http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet/the-75/iPod-Touch-Skin/Detail

Pay $7

=

Profit.

3. isshou macrumors member

isshou

Easy: don't take it out of the box and leave it at home!. :D
    just joking

Honestly, what I have done is place the invisible shield as I took it out of the box and once I saw there were not any kind of faults (dead /stuck pixels, etc).

http://cgi.ebay.com/iPod-Touch-iTou...ryZ56170QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Despite I got the protector for the front and back, I had place it only on the back as the front is credibly resistant to normal use and scratches.

The front, as it is a glass, it is very easy to keep it clean and even when there are some finger prints the screen is so bright and sharp you don't notice any finger prints.

One advantage of placing this -invisible shield- is that apart from keeping it in mint condition it increases handling grip.

Enjoy it!
    regards,
    ro

4. db2431 macrumors regular

Ive used both invisible shield and beskinsever, both identical material, with the latter being about a quarter of the price of the former, dont waste your money.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i dont protect the back and its still nice. sure some scratches but hey its a music player and the scratches are on the non critical side

if i was concerned about scratches on every thing i own id go nuts. i mean i dont get a case for my snowboard which costs quite a bit more than the ipt lol

bad analogy but true with most things.

saying that, just get a film protector if you care that much

6. Chimpy macrumors 6502

I second db2431 - use bestskinsever - you can't go wrong for $7, and it protects it like a champ.

7. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I have an iPod Touch, and I think using a case defeats the aesthetically-pleasing part of it. I just use that black cloth they put in the box and hold it with that. The glass on the front is very scratch resistant, and I wouldn't get a protector for that.

8. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

The recommendations in this thread for the most part have not been for a case. They have been for a skin and after researching it myself I am very impressed with the idea. I especially like the application method, the solution seems to make applying it a lot less likely to capture dirt or dust underneath.

9. dfdennis macrumors newbie

I have the invisibleshield and put it in this suede jacket. Kind of like the ones that use to come with the old video ipods.

http://www.sfbags.com/products/ipodsuedejacket/ipodsuedejacket.htm

[​IMG]

Dennis