Possible to link desktop and laptop to share ethernet internet connection?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LexieMSU08, Mar 15, 2009.

1. LexieMSU08 macrumors newbie

I was wondering if it is possible to connect a desktop and laptop computer using apple share or bluetooth to share an internet connection that is connected through an ethernet port on the desktop. My internet company is crap so I need to find a way to cut out the router, which I have to reset all the time to get a normal internet speed.

Desktop is a Mac Pro bought last April, and the laptop is a 12" Powerbook G4. Both have bluetooth, airport, and the newest operating system.

Thanks!

2. epyfa macrumors regular

Doesn't the Mac Pro have 2 Ethernet ports? You could just connect it with the Powerbook. Otherwise you could use Internet sharing via Airport.

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Yes -> System Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet Sharing -> Set "Share your connection from Ethernet" and check "To Computers Using Aiport". Set up WEP using Advanced settings

4. LexieMSU08 thread starter macrumors newbie

It does have two ethernet ports, but that would require a wire. I was hoping to do this wireless if possible, that way I can use the laptop all over the house.

What do you mean Internet sharing via Airport? Wouldn't that require an external router?

5. LexieMSU08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh nice! I knew there had to be an easy solution but all I found on the net was how to do it with PCs. Thanks!