Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Is it possible to listen to music on the ATV without the visual display on the TV, i.e. the album art and then the screensaver? Sometimes I'd just like to listen without the TV visuals.

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
While not sure, I think it depends on how you're routing your sound output. If your sound it going out through the HDMI, but your TV is off, you're out of luck. Others should confirm this. I have an aTV3 in transit. I'll know when it arrives. :D

testerdennis

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
Ya sometimes once you turn your TV off there is a delay then the sound will come back on.
HDMI to AV processor.

pedz

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
If your audio plays through a receiver, which the atv is plugged into then turning the tv off shouldn't affect it. When I am not using the tv I keep the receiver on with the atv input selected so I can play music whenever I want without having to turn it on. I actually programmed my harmony remote so when I turn the tv off it leaves the receiver on and switches to the atv input. Then the speakers are ready to stream music whenever we want. works really well.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
My atv 3 is connected to my theatre system via hdmi so i don't need the tv on... But i need a i device to see what song im playing and control the atv.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.