Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h2009

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
Hi there,

I need some help fast. I need to gain access to a Mac laptop which has a password set on it.

I have to gain access to the profile that is locked - is this possible? Or to view the web history?

Thanks

Hierotochan

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2008
Restart the Mac with a Leopard (or whatever OS) disk in the drive.
Click on the CD option.
At the install screen use the "Reset Password" (or something like that) tool from the Tools menu in the top bar.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Shouldn't the question be:

Why are you trying to gain access to a computer you don't have authorisation for?

elmimmo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2002
Spain
Or boot in Firewire mode (if it has firewire; press T before the display turns on), prey it does not have firmware password (in which case pressing T would do nothing) or FileVault is enabled for that user, and connect it through Firewire to another computer.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
This reminds me of a post where a kid was trying to figure out how to look at his brother's internet history. I could care less what my brothers are looking at.

Hierotochan

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2008
I thought that you had to enter the original password to be able to reset it.

If you needed to know the original password to reset it then what would be the point?
Then it would just be change password.

As for what you use it for, someone is going to know you've done it as you'll now have an account with no, or a different password.

The user asking the question has been a member for a while & wanted to see the "Internet history", sounded like a concerned parent to me.
Plus AFAIK this process is on the Apple page anyway.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
If you needed to know the original password to reset it then what would be the point?
Then it would just be change password.

As for what you use it for, someone is going to know you've done it as you'll now have an account with no, or a different password.

The user asking the question has been a member for a while & wanted to see the "Internet history", sounded like a concerned parent to me.
Plus AFAIK this process is on the Apple page anyway.

So can you insert any Leopard install disc or does it have to be the same one it was installed with?

The reason I ask is because this seems like a security flaw. If I could take my Leopard disc and change someones password so I can get all their personal/secure information, that's crazy!

H$R

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
Switzerland
So can you insert any Leopard install disc or does it have to be the same one it was installed with?

The reason I ask is because this seems like a security flaw. If I could take my Leopard disc and change someones password so I can get all their personal/secure information, that's crazy!

exactly. You could install a Firware password, that would add a layer of security, but you can hack EVERYTHING.

see this for further info: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1352
Even Apple states on there, that you can't prevent others from when they have physical access to the computer.

And this has been covered a dozens times here. I really have no idea why people don't find those threads. I mean as stated above, the OP has been a long time member, but doesn't find a topic which has been on here so many times?

elmimmo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2002
Spain

The reason I ask is because this seems like a security flaw.

What I think is required to reset the password with an install disk, is an admin password. If that is so, of course it is no security flaw (since if having an admin password, you do not even need that reset to peek into the other account's content).

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
What I think is required to reset the password with an install disk, is an admin password. If that is so, of course it is no security flaw (since if having an admin password, you do not even need that reset to peek into the other account's content).

I agree. I don't think you should be able to reset the password without having an administrator password.

If someone forgets their password and loses all their data, that's their own fault. I would rather that be the case than for someone to be able to reset my password so they can take all my data (or even delete it).

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Resetting a Filevault account from the system disc won't give you access to the encrypted files. It simply deletes the original account and saves it as a disk image, and creates a new account with the same username.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia

No password needed for the install discs.

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
FileVault is good to prevent someone from resetting from OS media.

Another way is if you have enabled a master FileVault password, you can reset any account's password on the Mac, including root. Another reason to make sure this master password is long (over 20 characters) but yet memorable, because forgetting it can bring a world of hurt.

Locking the firmware is another good idea. This prevents someone from booting anything but the main OS drive without a password. (Well, there are other methods to get access, but I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader.)

Finally, there is always PGP Whole Disk Encryption if one wants to keep people from even getting to the OS.

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
Another way is if you have enabled a master FileVault password, you can reset any account's password on the Mac, including root. Another reason to make sure this master password is long (over 20 characters) but yet memorable, because forgetting it can bring a world of hurt.

I actually disable the Master Password on my Macs. It reduces the effective security of FileVault, and introduces yet another secret key that I have to keep track of. I'd rather just write down the damn password in the first place and not reduce the strength of the system.

Locking the firmware is another good idea. This prevents someone from booting anything but the main OS drive without a password. (Well, there are other methods to get access, but I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader.)

That's only really a useful protection mechanism when you've got good physical security (such as a machine in a locked kiosk). Otherwise an attacker will just remove some RAM and power cycle the machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.