possible to make blank HD startup disk without OS X install?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Boss250, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Boss250 macrumors newbie

Hi, Im fairly new to mac so I dont know much yet, my Windows system just went down and I was able to get a decent mac a "quicksilver" 800mhz G4, install 10.5 and Im fairly happy with it but it needs upgrades. First of all the 40gb original HD isnt cutting it so Im wondering with a new, blank, larger HD could I transfer absolutely everything including 10.5, without a whole new 10.5 install because I had to trick 10.5 into thinking I'm at 867mhz and would have to do it again and dont quite remember how. Could carbon copy cloner work for this and if so how exactly would I do it? that is just one question I have about this G4, if someone could help me with other upgrading issues that would be awesome I just dont want to make this post way to long.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I'd suggest using Disk Utility to duplicate the drive - it's very easy and no additional software is needed. As you can see in the picture below, I've set Disk Utility to 'Restore' one drive to another. This will clone it exactly as it is to that other drive. :)

Attached Files:

3. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

SuperDuper! free edition will do what you want. Do a full backup to the new harddrive, remove the old one when finished, and you should be able to boot right off the new one.