Possible to Make Remote Assistance between a Mac and Pc Work?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by andreab35, Nov 28, 2008.

1. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Hi guys!
    My cousin has an iBook g3 running Panther. She is having a little trouble using it and I am here to help her with it.
    It would be so much easier to do things remotely with her.
    My question is, can my PC (Windows XP Home) remotely connect to her laptop (10.3 Panther)?
    If not possible at all, then that's ok. If it is not possible: my new MBA will be coming in the middle of December. When I receive it, then could I help her remotely?
    I just had this question because I set up her network at home remotely (XP to XP)
    Thank you so much! Sorry if I'm not to clear about some of these things. :eek:

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

TeamViewer, from my experience, is probably the easiest way. I'm not sure if it runs on Panther, though.

3. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Along the lines of apps like TeamViewer, there is Yuuguu.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

All she needs is a VNC server on that computer, though connecting to it remotely gets tricky (you'd have to find out her external IP address). The other solutions are just versions of that I'd expect, which are probably intended to solve that issue.

jW

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

6. andreab35 thread starter macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

This is some great info you guys have got for me! Thank you so much. I'll go check them all out right now. :)

7. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

Try an online solution

If you do not know about opening ports on your modem/router and cannot help your cousin with doing the same, then VNC will be a nightmare for you.

I would recommend that you try http://www.copilot.com - it's very simple to use, works across platforms (Windows, Mac OS X), and is free to use in the weekends. Give it a shot and see if it works with Panther. Otherwise a trial of GotoMyPC or something similar may help.