Possible to Manually decode Mac serial #? To find Anti-Glare screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wirewick, Nov 19, 2014.

1. wirewick macrumors newbie

Hello MacRumors. This is my first post here and it is a question regarding serial numbers for a macbook pro.

I have tried all of the online decoders with inconsistent results. The serial numbers are not always recognized, and when they are I am skeptical of their results.

Particularly in regards to the screen finish. I am trying to find a mid 2012 MBP with the Anti-Glare finish. Is there any code embedded in the serial number that will indicate the high res matte screen? Any way to manually decode those serial numbers completely? How does the website database accomplish this?

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Not that I know of.

I doubt that is possible the serial numbers will be just that models next number, and the matte screen was just a BTO option on a computer, I see no reason why this would be indicated in the serial number.

The database apple has will, of course, have a record of which serial numbers were bought with a matte screen. But I don't see you being able to access that.

3. wirewick thread starter macrumors newbie

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Ask for a picture. The anti-glare has no glass on the screen and a silver (same as body) colored bezel. They're quite easy to spot.

5. wirewick thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh! I was wondering why some have a silver bezel. Guess I just assumed it was an older design like my 1st generation MBP. Still running strong on Yosemite! Kinda.....

I need a new computer.