Possible to move Office 2011 license to different system?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by definitive, Jun 12, 2011.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

So I have a copy of Office 2011 Standard that I got recently, and it got me thinking: If I ever buy a new computer, how will I go about transferring this copy of Office to it? With Adobe, you simply pick the Deactivate function, uninstall, and install on a different computer, so that's taken care of, but I didn't find a similar feature in Office. Also, with Adobe license you can install it on two of your systems as long as they aren't used simultaneously (ex: laptop + desktop). Does Office 2011 Standard allow this as well?

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

I migrated mine copy from my Macbook to my MBP, deleted the install from the Macbook and then reactived Office on my MBP, worked fine.

3. TucsonTom macrumors newbie

Didn't work for me

When i tried moving Office 2011 for Mac to a new mac I got a message that the activation limit had been reached. The problem is, there is no way to deactivate Office 2011 on the old computer. Therefore, I'm screwed. I can't contact tech support without paying $39 for the privilege. Thanks for nothing, Microsoft.

4. saberahul macrumors 68040

Ya... one of the many reasons why I stopped using MSFT products. iWork works wonders for me so I stick to that... only time I use MSFT is when the formatting is messed up but that is hardly the case.

5. saulinpa macrumors 6502

This is a big reason to use cracked software even when you have a license. It is too bad that Apple is now going down that route with Lion and the App Store.

6. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

For more specialized help with this issue, I suggest that you contact the Office Installation and Activation Support team. There is no charge.

Office Installation and Activation Support
    (800) 936-5700

You are allowed to activate when you move to a new computer or get a new drive but if you starting doing this regularly, you might run into problems.

The exception is the Academic license. It's for one install on one computer. No exceptions.

7. barneym, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

barneym macrumors newbie

Yes, but Apple allows you to use it on up to 10 computers and you can deauthorize any of them at any time. If things get completely fouled up you can deauthorize the whole lot and reauthorize the computers individually. Also, there are no 40 character GUID's printed on boxes and pieces of paper for you to loose and then argue at tech support about. You just sign in with the account you used to purchase it originally.

This is an entirely different experience than Microsoft's licensing FUD.

8. saulinpa macrumors 6502

I bought a new 2011 mini and can't update iLife or re-install Lion because their system doesn't recognize my machine. It may be different technology but yields the same results. I buy a product and can't use it because of a licensing issue that is no fault of my own.