Possible to not have icons revert to default after updates?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DWBurke811, Jul 8, 2011.

1. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I'm not happy with the way the title is worded, but I think it at least gets the idea across.

I change all my icons, either with CandyBar or just going in and swapping them out. That's not really the problem; the problem is whenever something updates, it switches back to the default icon. On some stuff that doesn't update often it's a pain, but bearable; Chrome, on the other hand, seems to update daily and sticks out like a sore, yellow thumb:

[​IMG]

Is there something I can do to permanently change the icons, or am I stuck playing cat and mouse? It's not that it's hard to open up CandyBar and switch them, I'd just like to not have to all the time; gotta love first world problems...

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

I've not seen that Chrome icon. Perhaps you're on the version of Chrome that updates daily. You could instead install the stable version of Chrome.

You can't change icons permanently because the icon is stored inside the application bundle. Whenever the application updates itself, it has the option to restore, and you can't control that without putting in horrifically restrictive permissions that don't even allow root to make changes, and that's likely to break stuff.

The alternative is to write a script that polls every icon file you want to change and then reverts it to your preferred icon whenever it notices the change. You could learn bash or python and figure out how to write this yourself (but this would likely be computationally expensive), or you could learn Objective-C and Cocoa and watch for spotlight/fsevents and see if they match files you care about.

You could also stop running updates. One way to enforce that is via netboot, where every time you reboot the system, it reverts to its original state. Obviously, you want to keep your files, so you would need a network user whose home directory is on the server.

Lastly, you could calm down and not care so much. The only reason the yellow sticks out like a sore thumb is because everything else on your machine is black. No, it really isn't cool.

3. DWBurke811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So to sum it up, I have to change it each time I log in. Thanks.

4. Detrius macrumors 68000

That's not at all what I said, but if they change every time you log out, then yes.