Possible to Pair Watch with iPad instead of iPhone?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BruiserB, Apr 8, 2015.

1. BruiserB macrumors 65816

Is it possible to pair an Apple Watch to an iPad instead of an iPhone?

If so, would you be able to NFC ApplePay with the Watch? Would I need the iPad with me when I pay? Or just at the time I put it on my wrist?

I don't really make cellular calls with my iPhone (I usually use Google Voice through Hangouts) and my 6+ has also replaced my iPad. But I was thinking that maybe I could get an iPad mini with cellular service and pair it with a Watch. That would give me a little bigger screen for web stuff, but still a small screen for notifications or whatever on the Watch.

2. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

3. BruiserB thread starter macrumors 65816

So not even with one of the newer iPads that support in app ApplePay? :(

4. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

No.

5. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Unless a jailbreak comes out, it's iPhone 5 or newer at this point.

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

You need the :apple:Watch app in order to pair it with a device. This app is currently only available for the iPhone and also requires either a 5 or 6 series iPhone model. The whole concept of the watch is to use it as a companion to a phone so it's not likely it will ever work with an iPad.

7. BruiserB thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm not one to jailbreak. I guess I'll just have to hope Apple eventually opens it up to iPad.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I don't see Apple doing that. Most people don't carry Cellular iPads around with them everywhere.

9. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

It'll never happen, pretty much. The Watch is designed as a phone companion. You wouldn't even have universal internet access unless you bought a much more expensive cellular ipad and paid for an additional SIM/subscription...

10. BruiserB thread starter macrumors 65816

An iPad mini with cellular connection is cheaper than an iPhone 6 Plus and has a larger screen. Since it would be my only iDevice, it wouldn't be an "additional" SIM subscription. I use Google Voice as my phone number anyway so I don't need a cellular voice connection. Even now I use the T-mobile 5GB 100 minute $30 plan on my iPhone. So your logic doesn't apply in my situation. I'd get a larger screen iDevice for less money and have the Apple Watch as a small screen companion.

11. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Yeah, for you perhaps, but most people (meaning like, a couple billion people on this planet) have a cell phone as their standard cellular device, and the phone number associated with it as their phone number. :)

12. Mr.C macrumors 601

I suspect your'e in the minority and therefore not someone Apple will cater for.

13. richardmu macrumors 6502a

Well put. I've got the same issue as the OP but the only answer appears to be the purchase of a cheap iPhone if there is such h a thing!

14. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Lol, yeah, I know what you mean. :p A 8 or 16 GB iP5C would probably be your cheapest choice. The 5S is a much more powerful device though with better everything all-round, pretty much (except RAM, which is the same), while also being smaller and lighter (and IMO, prettier.)

It shouldn't be fatally expensive either now when it is a low-end device, whereas the 5C is said to be somewhat sluggish already on iOS8, and who knows how it'll feel with iOS9. Experience teaches us: not good...

15. BruiserB thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, I'm not exactly suggesting they have iPad pairing capability instead of iPhone pairing! I'd be fine if they satisfied the couple of billion people too! ;-)

It's not like there's a technical reason they can't add iPad support. Unless they're afraid there's a bigger market than just me who might skip buying a higher margin iPhone in favor of an iPad mini! :rolleyes: