Possible to push pop/imap email?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vivithemage, Aug 9, 2009.

1. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

I have 5 pop/imap accounts that fetch every 15 minutes. Seems to drain my battery any good push only notificatin services? Anyone try msgpush.com?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Change your settings to every hour. No wonder your battery is being drained.

3. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

That may not solve his problem if he wants/needs to check his e-mail more often than every hour, which to me is pretty long.

4. blulegend macrumors regular

5. MacBacker macrumors member

You may want to wait for GPush in the App Store. It should be there in the next day or so. Supposedly the 1st week, it'll be only .99...after that, 1.99.

This info was posted in the App Store section.

6. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

I do not care so much about why it's getting drained..just want to get emails a little quicker then 15 minute intervals, and push will allow me to turn off fetch...in turn, I will save some decent battery consumption i'd think :).

I will check out that app, thanks!

Is msgpush kind of...a bad idea right now? too buggy, doesn't work correctly? I likle the idea of having all of my accounts be able to push just a notification, not the actual email, so I can manually check my emails when I need to.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Then under advanced, change your settings to push. However, push (at least for Yahoo) can be hit and miss. I did a time check on that in a thread, and sometimes I got them immediately and sometimes it was 60 minutes later.

8. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

I have PUSH turned on, as well as fetch every 15.

You men after I install gpush or something?

9. slimgravy macrumors newbie

why gpush????

i get my gmail within 30 sec at worst...

i have it set to fetch manually...

in fact as i JUST signed up here, like 5 sec after i submitted I got the notif.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

When you go to the fetch new data settings, there is an advanced setting, where you can select either push or fetch. I don't think you need both.

11. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

I have one gmail account, and 4 other email accounts that are IMAP that i'd want to have push working. gmail is just personal sutff, so I do not really need the emails instantly anyhow.

I really want my other IMAP emails to be pushed.

12. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

I would be more then willing to setup my own little pushmail server if that was possible...and would even work?

Has anyone thought of doing that?

13. iFerd macrumors 6502a

I'm reasonably sure the manual says that one way to conserve the battery is to turn off push. So if your goal is to save batteries, push won't help. It will make it worse.

(I didn't go back and review the manual.)

14. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

Really? I would think push would make the phone use less of the bettery, as opposed to fetch actually having to turn on, and start downloading any new emails via my edge connection.

I am surprised it wouldn't save any battery.

15. iFerd macrumors 6502a

Read about how to optimize iPhone battery life on the Apple web site, here. There, among other things, you will see that they recommend turning off push mail if you don't need it, as well as lengthening the interval for fetching mail. There are several other things they also recommend, if your objective is to save battery life.

No one will want to follow all of these recommendations. You have to decide for yourself in your own usage how to weigh the trade offs between conserving battery life and gaining the functions you want/use/need. My only point here is that if you want push mail as a battery conservation measure, you likely won't see that happening.

16. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

well, push < 15 minute interval fetch should be better....I guess I will have to figure it out after I get some sort of push working.

I am not sure I like pushmail, I would be worried they are keeping my email...

I just tried yahoo push, and it's very flakey. Sometimes it sends the email, sometimes it does not.

i am probably going to just get pushmail app.