Possible to record in 720p on 3rd gen iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by convergent, Mar 8, 2012.

1. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

One of my peeves with the iPhone 4s is that it will ONLY record in 1080p. I rarely if ever want to record random things in 1080p and would much prefer the smaller file sizes of 720p. One of the big things I'm thinking of getting an iPad for is video. Our camcorder has pretty much given it up and tired of the dv tapes, so thinking of the iPad for this purpose. A lot of friends love their iPad 2 for video... and just wondering about the capabilities. If its not available natively, are there any good 3rd party apps that would allow down rez recording?

2. convergent thread starter macrumors 68030

convergent

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

Why not just convert the finished video to whatever size/format you want?

4. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Here's what I do (yes it sucks but meh)

1. Open videos in iMovie app (on iPhone 4S). If there are multiple related clips I string them all together. If not, I just add the one clip im worried about.
    2. Add that clip to a new, blank project.
    3. Go back to the main screen and hit the share / export button (box with an arrow jumping out).
    4. Select camera roll.
    5. Options appear for Medium - 360 P, Large 540 P, HD 720 P, and HD 1080P.
    6. Pick the one you want from here, wait a bit, delete original files and also delete iMovie project.

I find it works for me to shoot clips at events, string them together with no transitions, export them, delete the originals, then save the combined clip to a computer for safe keeping. You can always chop it up later if you need a section of it on your phone.

5. convergent thread starter macrumors 68030

convergent

Space. I'd rather not fill the storage with 1080p videos when I only want 720p. Also, for sports videos I'm not planning to do any editing, just replay them as is. If I convert, then I'm going to have two copies taking up more space.

6. Mshilling macrumors regular

You do know where the delete key is, right?

7. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

This is this magical thing called "delete". I'm not sure who invented it but it is "Amazing" on the new iPad!

--------------
    Boo shilling beat me to it!

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

Obviously what works for me doesn't necessarily work for you and vice versa, but I always prefer to have a larger file to start with, so I'll store 1080 video on my Drobo (desktop storage is still very cheap) and keep a "walking-around" copy in a smaller file on one of my portable devices. The idea of not taking advantage of 1080, for me, at least, limits future options.