Possible to remove minute plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Inukami, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Inukami macrumors 6502

Is it possible to remove the minute plan from an iPhone contract and only keep the data plan? Does AT&T allow you to do this or not? Probably not but i just wanted to hear out what you guys have to say.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Unfortunately, they don't let you have a smartphone, Media Net or iPhone data plan without a voice plan.

3. Inukami thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah well ok i just wanted to make sure. I canceled my contract and i'm thinking of adding unlimited data plan to my iPhone 3G and using skype for phone calls...

profit? yes? no?

wait.. are you saying they don't let you do that even out of contract?

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yup, it's all or nothing, even out of contract. The data plans are configured as add-ons to voice plans. AFAIK, the billing system prevents someone from attaching a phone-based data plan add-on to an account without a voice plan.

The only alternative is to get a laptop data card plan, which IS standalone. But those plans are soft-capped to 5GB a month (which may or may not be a problem for you, who knows?).

And at $60 a month for the laptop card plan, you're not saving much anyway.

5. Inukami thread starter macrumors 6502

6. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

So is the iPhone data plan.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Nope, it is unlimited. AT&T makes a distinction between iPhone and Smartphone/MediaNet plans (unlimited), and Laptop cards and phones-with-tethering (5GB cap). But therein lies the gimmick: it's unlimited but only insofar as your phone can "unlimitedly" use data, not an external tethered device.

See for yourself. And actually, it looks like a PDA plan is possible to get without a minute plan, but it's $35. It's also possible to get PDA tethering for $65 (but again, compared to iPhone data + the lowest voice plan, you're saving only $5).

Attached Files:

8. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Actually AT&T does not make that distinction. They put a soft cap on ALL of their data plans.

From the AT&T terms of service:

Yes their website advertises the data plan as unlimited but it technically is not and this is clearly covered in the contract every iPhone purchaser agrees too when they activate the iPhone with AT&T.