Possible to remove smudge on macbook air trackpad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by koolzero, Oct 20, 2011.

1. koolzero, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

koolzero macrumors regular

I bumped my sons hand last night and his ipod touch skidded across my macbook airs trackpad. After I picked up the ipod I inspected the macbook and I noticed a dark smudge on the trackpad. I don't recall if it was there before or if the ipod caused it. The smudge isn't a gouge or deep though so maybe it was there before.

I was going to try a magic eraser to see if it will come off but I don't want to damage it. I saw lifehacker used a magic eraser to remove oils from the trackpad and I also have oil buildup on mine so I wonder if it would be safe to try using it to remove the smudge. Anyone have any experience with the magic eraser? I don't have any pictures of the smudge but I can try posting one later.

Thanks.

2. komoornik macrumors regular

Actually I had something like this too.

I was using it for 2 or 3 days without any kind of skin and I got a little smudge - the problem is I don't completly recall hitting it or anything like it. It seems like it happend coz of my fingers.

But then I installed the full body skin from ZAGG and I can't see it. And yes, I'm using the skin also on touchpad and I'm happy with it. Touchpad still feels nice for me, and I know it's safer. Maybe it's not that big deal with glass touchpad's but I know many of them is getting so ugly after some time....

3. summitRun macrumors regular

Homemade Solutions...

White vinegar solves a lot of problems. Try diluting it with water at half strength and ratchet it up from there. You could also try a solution of rubbing alcohol, white vinegar and water. There are tons of recipes for it online

4. billidan macrumors newbie

Am I the only one who always use wet paper towels to remove smudges on trackpad, keyboard and screen?:eek: I have been doing this for years...

I think I may try something else, maybe screen cleaner, next time ... Gladly I didn't break the machines before

5. koolzero thread starter macrumors regular

Did you have any luck removing the smudge?

6. komoornik macrumors regular

The problem is my "smudge" didn't went off after polishing with isopropyl alcohol.

I didn't try anything else, coz I end up feeling it's really hardware defect and not a smudge.

7. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

I use lysol. Kills the germs and removes smudges. :)

8. koolzero thread starter macrumors regular

Is Lysol not too harsh or abrasive? I think i only have clorox wipes at my house they prob have bleach so that prob isn't safe to use, right?

9. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

nope

10. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

It's just alcohol in spray form. So to answer your question, no its not.

11. SandynJosh macrumors 68000

I've always had great results by putting my MBP in the dish washer and setting it at the "pot scrubber" mode.

12. digitalhen macrumors regular

It's just a smudge like on glass. I used the iKlear stuff I have for the display and off it went.

13. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Use windex. Your trackpad is made of glass, and windex is made for glass. And everyone has windex. So there you go!

14. meistervu macrumors 65816

You were trying to ruin other people laptop by neglecting to mention that they should go on top rack only :)

15. lc25 macrumors 6502