Possible to rename mapped network drive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Gooter, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Gooter macrumors member

Gooter

I'm a recent iMac convert so I apologize in advance if my terminology is incorrect. Here is my question and then I'll describe in further detail.

Is it possible to rename a mapped network drive/server within Mac OS X?

I have a Canon MX850 network printer connected to my router via the ethernet port. The printer also has a memory card reader. In order to get my iMac to recognize the memory card slot, I had to "Connect to Server" (Command + K shortcut) and type in the IP address of the printer. It connected fine and I could read the contents of the memory card.

When I open up the MacintoshHD icon on the desktop (sorry, I don't know what it is called exactly but I think it is similar to "My Computer" in Windows), the mapped network drive's name is just the IP address of the printer. I would like to give it a more descriptive name such as "Printer Memory Card". Is this possible?

Thanks

2. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

I'm not sure if you can rename a memory card, but I just tried a USB thumb drive 3 different ways. The all worked so you may try them.
    1 Just Right Click on it in the Finder (similar to "My Computer" in Windows)
    2 Hightlight it and Comand i to bringing up the info panel
    3 In Finder goto Applications / Utilities / Disk Utility.app the select the Erase Tab and try to rename there.