Possible to replace mini-display port w/o audio with one that does pass audio?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stepheneleven, Sep 11, 2011.

1. stepheneleven macrumors member

stepheneleven

I have one of the first unibody Macbook Pros. It has mini-display port obviously, but it doesnt pass audio thru it. Does anyone know if it is possible to have the port replaced with one of the newer ones that does pass audio thru it?

I asked the "genius" last time I was there but he didnt seem to know.

Thanks in advance.
    Dave

2. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

You mean a thunderbolt port? nope needs the chipset on the logic board, would require a new logic board entirely.

3. stepheneleven thread starter macrumors member

stepheneleven

No, I dont need to go full thunderbolt port. They upgraded the mini-display port in 2010 to pass audio before switching to thunderbolt. I just want to have them put the newer minidisplay port in my machine.

4. samac92 macrumors 6502a

no, he means a mini displayport that also passes through audio. the 2010 pros had this i believe.

edit: beat me to it

5. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Oh right, sorry man misunderstood. Not sure if thats possible still as im sure the chipset would need to be updated and since its soldered on again would make me believe a entire logic board replacement would be needed.

But I might be wrong.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

No. Not without completely changing the entire logicboard, which probably costs more than what your computer is worth at the moment.

Upgrading to this year's model and selling yours would be a much cheaper and more effective way to go about it.

7. stepheneleven thread starter macrumors member

stepheneleven

That make sense. I just wasnt sure. I was just wondering if, for instance, my mini-display stopped working and I had to send or bring it in to be replaced, would they put a new one in or would they have to put another old one in?

Im not technical enough to know if the chipset stuff is even involved or if its just a matter of having the newer port put in. I guess I will try to call, because if its possible I wouldnt mind paying some money to have it put in. Its really the only thing I hate about my machine. I just bought my dad a minidisplay to hdmi adapter for his 2010 pro, and I gotta say its pretty awesome to be able to hook it up to his hdtv at times and get crystal clear video/audio with one cable.

----------

Thanks, I think my best bet is to just buy a base 11" air just for carrying around and gaining this capability. My current machine is still pretty awesome aside from the no audio thru minidisplay. I guess it would be nice have an ultraportable as well, anyway.

Thanks for the replys everyone.

8. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I'm like 99.9% sure it's not possible, regardless of how much money you throw at it. While it's not as slick as a singe cable, you can use this to combine MDP and optical audio, and then just hook a single HDMI cable to your TV. Yeah it's $35 compared to $7 for the normal one, but I changing the MDP was even possible it would be at least $400 for a new logic board.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=6331&seq=1&format=2

9. jsolares macrumors 6502a

The "port" is just a physical thing soldered onto the logic board, if you change the port you're soldering the same thing and it still won't support audio, there's just no way if your chipset doesn't support it.