possible to restore from old if set up as new 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Peter Franks, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Hi people,

Can you please tell me whether I can use my iP4 back up from iTunes after setting up a 5S as 'new' or does this cause problems? Should it have been done as a back up from first switch on?

Thanks

2. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

3. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks. Is it pretty straight forward?

Is there any benefit in doing it from scratch as opposed to backing up from an 3 year old ip4, or not.

What happens to the order of apps. Where do the 5S app icons go. Do the icons stay front page of phone, move or the old back up ones move?

4. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Restoring from backup restores your new phone to the exact state your old phone was, meaning wallpapers, pics, settings, messages, apps, app data. Everything. And it's easy. Just erase the phone again but this time in the setup, choose to restore from backup.

Setting up as a new phone is just that, starting fresh.

I'd restore from backup. That way your new phone will be all setup the way your old one was instead of having to redoing everything from scratch.

5. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for that. Will do. Was just curious as to how they move current iphone 5 icons when old ip4 phone is restored on 5 as the screen has that extra line. Will give it a go. Thanks again

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

As I recall when I went from 4S to 5 it just leaves an empty rom at the bottom.

7. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you. Where did the 5 front page icons move to. Just on to another page?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It has been a while and I am not absolutely sure, but I think they all ended up pushed to the back of the bus on a new page.

9. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

10. Peter Franks, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013

Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Am just restoring new 5S from back up from my old 4, Thought something would come up in itunes to say that it had finished, but nothing doing. The step 6 of 6 completed, but I still have one icon/SatNav that still says 'installing', and it's clearly doing nothing I'd say. Any ideas?

Also noticed that the wifi connection keeps disappearing since I restored phone, any fixes?

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

On the Nav install issue, how long has it been like that? It can take quite a while (half an hour or so) to install all the apps after they get copied over.

On he wifi issue, I would do a "reset network settings" and reenter the wifi info.

12. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks Weasel, I went into itunes and it says 'will install' by SatNav, but nothing moving. It's been an hour or more. Pressed sync this time, not that I wanted it to back up new phone, wanted an older back up, but anyhow, it didn't stop me from disconnecting and assume if it was in the middle of something it would have asked before I ejected? It updated the ios to '4' too.

Also, out of interest, when I set up as new, before I did restore from back up, the free Apple apps that were on offer to download 'download all', how do I get that back, it doesn't appear this time when opening App store.

may delete SatNav and try again. It's just blacked out at present, ironically like the odd one or two on updating iP4 to ios7.

WiFi keeps going to 3G but when open mail wiFi does appear at the mo, but shows 3G or E in screen.

Also, getting passcode up all the time, as presume thumb isn't working...

thanks again, all help appreciated

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think you will need to go through the app store and search for each iWorks app and redownload them one by one.

Did you go back in and scan in a fingerprint? Since you setup as new, you will need to repeat that with the new setup.

14. Peter Franks, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013

Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

possible to restore from old if set up as new 5S?

Yeh I did. The fact the pass code comes up makes the thumb redundant anyway unless I'm doing something wrong which wouldn't be a first.

Anyone know what should be ticked for 'archive mailbox' in mail? It's set to 'my iPhone' but don't understand that and what it's for?

SatNav still 'installing' hours later and blacked out. Will delete now