Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martinmartin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
I have a jailbroken iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1.

Unfortunately my [32gb] phone has filled up with 9gb of 'Other.'

I've tried unsuccessfully to bring this 9gb down.

So my 2 questions:

• If I restore from backup, will I lose the jailbreak (because it will force me to upgrade to 6.1.4)?
  • Assuming that doesn't bring the 'Other' down, if I restore as new, will I lose the jailbreak (because it will force me to upgrade to 6.1.4)?

Thank you

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012

So my 2 questions:

• If I restore from backup, will I lose the jailbreak (because it will force me to upgrade to 6.1.4)?
  • Assuming that doesn't bring the 'Other' down, if I restore as new, will I lose the jailbreak (because it will force me to upgrade to 6.1.4)?

Thank you

Do you happen to use bit torrent on your device?

martinmartin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
I've tried iCleaner - got rid of a few hundred MBs.

Don't use bittorrent.

I have text message chains from and emails from the past, maybe, 3 years. I wonder if a lot of the 'other' is data (pictures) from messages/emails...

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Don't use bittorrent.

I have text message chains from and emails from the past, maybe, 3 years. I wonder if a lot of the 'other' is data (pictures) from messages/emails...

Yes a lot of it can be from messages.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Don't use bittorrent.

Yes, years of texts and mms pic messages can take up a lot of room.
I usually do a clean up of my text conversations every month or so. No need to go back years ago to view anything.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012

So my 2 questions:

Thank you

Do you use any kind of browser downloader? Or an app like protube? I'm quite certain that 9GB of other is several huge files and not thousands of smaller files. I can't imagine MMS taking up that much space unless its all iMessage (which as far as I'm aware of isn't downsized)

taylob

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2009
Chicago, IL
this is likely being caused by a glitch in iOS 6.1.

It causes your phone to save all of the attachments (pics/vid) from your text messages.

I had 6 gigs of other and was able to use a program (cant remember what it was called right now. maybe ifile?), to clear them all out, freeing up 6 gigs.

TNT93

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2013
Northampton, UK
this is likely being caused by a glitch in iOS 6.1.

It causes your phone to save all of the attachments (pics/vid) from your text messages.

I had 6 gigs of other and was able to use a program (cant remember what it was called right now. maybe ifile?), to clear them all out, freeing up 6 gigs.

It could be this ^

also add http://rpetri.ch/repo and install respringcachefix if you haven't already, then respring a few times, this may clear some up aswell.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
If the above is the case, install ifile from cydia and browse to /var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments

And delete all the folders inside

This will essentially delete all pictures/videos via text message or iMessage. If you want to save your text messages, this is the best way. If you don't mind saving the text messages, just delete the entire conversation from messages app

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.