Possible to return BTO (built-to-order) MBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Canuckistan, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Canuckistan macrumors member

I'm about to order a 17" MBP, but am concerned that I may find the unit too large / heavy / unwieldy in which case I'd like to exchange it for a 15". (Seeing and holding the machines in-store is one thing; using on a daily basis is another).

I understand that one may return an MBP, or for that matter any Apple computer, within a 14-day grace period. Does this policy extend to built-to-order (BTO) MBPs, and if so what's the return procedure? ... May one return the computer to any Apple store or must the MBP to be shipped to a depot?

Am I right in thinking that:

a) the customer need not provide a reason for returning? To put it another way, might Apple say "You chose the wrong size, too bad".

b) the 14-day grace period begins on the day the customer receives the MBP from the shipper?

c) before shipping back, one must obtain a "return number"?

d) the customer must pay the return shipping charge?

e) the customer is advised to insure the MBP against loss or damage, as loss or damage is not covered by Apple?

f) the customer will be charged a 10% restocking fee?

g) the customer has the option of new product or cash (cheque) back?

Thank you

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I do not believe CTOs are returnable once opened. This was the policy in the past at least. You could call to verify.

3. johnnymike24 macrumors newbie

johnnymike24

I had been waiting for this update for about 6 months and had my heart set on purchasing a 13". But like others I was less than enthusiastic when I saw that the new 13" still had a C2D. But I went ahead and ordered a 13" 2.66 CTO b/c I didn't think that I would want to carry a 15" around at school with me.

But, then I started to realize that even though the 2.66 C2D would be more than sufficient for my needs, I could not justify spending the money on the C2D given how long I had waited for the iX processors. So I called Apple and changed my order to a 15" i5. Even though I did this I was still apprehensive about ordering a 15" for school. So I asked the customer service rep if I when I received the 15" I could return it if I found it to be too big. The woman I spoke to said that I could if it was within the 14 day return period but I might be charged a restocking fee.

So, unless the Apple customer service rep. I spoke to was wrong, you are allowed to return a CTO within the 14 day period.