Possible to return replacement iPhone 5 for refund?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sn0warmy, Oct 30, 2012.

1. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

On October 8th I purchased an iPhone 5 from my local Apple store at full retail price. Immediately after making the purchase I opened the box in front of the salesperson to ensure there were no scuffs or dings. We both instantly noticed a scratch right next to the volume switch. She said they would replace it for me since it came out of the box that way. But they didn't have any more in stock for that day so she said to come back the following day.

The next day i returned and they replaced my phone on the spot with one of their replacement phones. That one also came out of the box with a smaller scuff but at that point I just figured I'd live with it. It has now been 3 weeks and I've decided to go back to my Nexus since I have learned that the iPhone just isn't for me.

Tonight I plan on returning the iPhone with all its accessories and packaging since I am still within the 30 day return window. However, I just came across a couple posts of people in my same situation who said Apple would not allow them to return the phone for a full refund because it was a replacement.

If this truly is the case then I am going to be EXTREMELY livid since the only reason why I exchanged the phone in the first place is because it came out of the box with damage. Before I get all worked up and make a trip to the Apple store after work, I wanted to see if anyone else has been in this situation. If so, would you mind shedding some light on your results?

I'm planning for the worst now and trying to proactively figure out my options. So far I have spent about 20 minutes going through their refund policy documentation and I can't find any wording relating to the refund of a replacement device.

Thanks for any helpful insight.

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Before you get angry I'd go up to the store and talk to them. I would think (hope) they have a record of your replacements in their system.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, once you get a replacement you cant then return it for a refund.
    Company policy.
    I'd talk to a manager to try to get it straightened out.

4. sn0warmy thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Yeah, I agree. No reason to get worked up until I give it a try. Unfortunately it won't be until I get off work tonight. And those 2 posts I read did not give me a lot of confidence.

----------

I will definitely be talking to a manager. I've read over the refund/replacement policies on their website multiple times now and there is absolutely no mention of being unable to return a phone after it was replaced in store.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why dont you just sell the iphone 5 if you dont want it? You will make way more money than returning it to Apple.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I know others have been told that if they except a replacement they can no longer return it, but I would argue since you were never told that and it is not in print.

----------

better idea

7. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

Wow, I was told I could return my replacement for a full refund if I was not satisfied.

8. sn0warmy thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I just called the local Apple store who confirmed they would not accept it. Then I called Applecare and explained the whole situation. They confirmed that the Apple store screwed up. Apparently, under policy they should have replaced it with a brand new one with full packaging and a brand new receipt attached to that serial number. She said this is a common mistake made at retail stores. She made a case number and told me to go into the Apple store, speak with the manager and provide him with the case number so he can read the notes and accept the return for a full refund.

These are still worth more than retail cost this far past launch date?

...You have a PM.

9. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

I've been getting brand new sealed replacements, I've had 2 so far, and they always come in original packaging and via email I get a "Billing document receipt" stating form of payment etc.

This is from Apple online store.

10. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Hmm, I guess I was wrong. Glad you got it worked out though. :)

11. sn0warmy thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Thanks for all the responses. Per Applejuiced's recommendation I've actually decided to put it up on Craigslist to see if I could find a local buyer for it since apparently these are still hard to find. I typically sell my Android phones on craigslist for decent profits so I am curious to see what I can get for the iPhone 5. If I don't get any interest then I'll go return the phone and be done with it.

I'm glad I posted otherwise I would not have known these were still in high demand. Half my office has them already.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good luck bro.
    You'll make out nice.
    AT&T and Verizon iphone 5's go fast.

13. ITS ME DAVID macrumors 6502

If you got it from apple it's only a 14 day return no longer 30 days

14. Damn Dirty Ape macrumors member

Not true according to terms and conditions on their site.

Please see 'US returns and Refunds Policy' on this page:

http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

15. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

You have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it. For an Apple iPhone, you have 30 calendar days.

16. Damn Dirty Ape macrumors member

umm..yeah.. :rolleyes:

17. ITS ME DAVID macrumors 6502

in store it's 14 days I know I went to return mine to the Pasadena store in ca a day later 15 day and they said its only 14 days 30 days for new contract owners

18. i7QuadCoreMania macrumors 6502

that's what they told me as well.

once you exchange it, you cannot refund. Refunds only issued if its the original serial number.

19. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

yup, once you get it replaced that's it, you stick with it or you sell it.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Let us know how much you got for it if you sold it.
    And what model and storage capacity.

21. sn0warmy thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Alright... :rolleyes:

And just for an update, I successfully returned the phone tonight for a full refund. When I walked in the first thing I did was ask for the manager. They went to get the manager but the sales person asked me to explain the situation to him while we were waiting for the manager to be free. Reluctantly, I did. Of course he responded with, "Oh yeah. We won't be able to return that because you exchanged it." To which I responded, "well that's why I asked for the manager."

About 5 minutes later the manager (very friendly, I might add) approached and asked me to give him all the details. So I told him everything and provided my receipts. He immediately understood and agreed that when I exchanged the phone, due to a visible defect right out of the box, they should have issued me a refund then re-charged my card for a fully packaged one with a brand new receipt to match the serial number. At this point I was obviously happy but I did feel kind of bad because he had to spend quite some time in the POS system trying to get it all worked out to get my money back.

In the end he was able to give me a full refund for the phone and the Applecare. I made sure to thank him for his time and patience in helping me out. He said he was happy to do it because it was their error to begin with.

Moral of the story - If you had your phone exchanged due to a scuff/scratch out of the box and didn't receive a fully packaged one with a new receipt, the Apple store screwed up and it is NOT your burden to just accept. Believe it or not Apple employees can be wrong.

----------

It was the white 16GB AT&T model.

I put it up on craigslist but didn't get any hits. I decided to go ahead and give the return a try and it worked out so I'm happy. :)

22. TableSyrup, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

TableSyrup macrumors 6502

HAD THEY GIVIN YOU ANY ISSUES, (which I have seen with others):

These kinds of things are why I love Minnesotas 'Implied Warranty' laws.

If they would have tried to refuse return based on a non-original serial, which was only issued due to defective product in the first place......

"...fitness for intended purpose..."

There is even case law in regards to your situation... whereas, a product purchased new, in any condition other than new, is covered under this law. (As would be it's replacement if applicable, and this can also go to defend your refusal of acceptance of a 'refurbished' replacement for a new product within original warranty)

Can't tell you how many times I've cited this to companies, employees, managers, etc, and had them change their tune.

Here, it applies to products AND services, and can overrule contracts and/or limitations of warranties, as these conditions create an unconscionable 'contract'

I love law

"325G.18 IMPLIED WARRANTIES.
    Subdivision 1.Merchantability and fitness for intended purpose. Unless disclaimed in the manner prescribed in subdivision 2, every consumer sale in this state shall be accompanied by an implied warranty that the goods are merchantable, and, in a consumer sale where the seller has reason to know that the goods are required for a particular purpose and that the buyer is relying on the seller's skill or judgment to select or furnish suitable goods, an implied warranty of fitness. A seller may, however, limit damages or remedies for breach of implied warranties as provided in chapter 336.
    Subd. 2.Disclaimers. No consumer sale on an "as is" or "with all faults" basis shall be effective to disclaim the implied warranty of merchantability, or, where applicable, the implied warranty of fitness, unless a conspicuous writing clearly informs the buyer, prior to the sale, in simple and concise language each of the following:
    (1) the goods are being sold on an "as is" or "with all faults" basis; and
    (2) the entire risk as to the quality and performance of the goods is with the buyer.
    In event of a consumer sale by means of a mail order catalog, the catalog may contain the required writing in lieu of the requirement of notification prior to the sale."

23. sn0warmy thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Indeed! I suppose a situation like this is a perfect example of why you should familiarize yourself with local laws regarding goods/services sold as well as the full terms and conditions of a product/service you purchase.

For the record, I also had the full iPhone return/refund documentation from their website printed out with me incase I needed to point out that nowhere in the documentation does it say you cannot return an exchanged phone for a full refund within 30 days of initial purchase.

An employee simply saying, "it's company policy" does not cut it.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced