Possible to rip movies in Popcorn?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fuzzy Orange, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Fuzzy Orange macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

Whenever I put in a DVD (such as, say, Monty Python and the Holy Grail), Popcorn tells me it can't do anything with the DVD since it is protected. So, what is the point of Popcorn? I got it for ripping DVDs so I could put them on my iPhone, and now I am a bit dissapointed that this isn't going to let me do that.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Use Mac the Ripper to rip your DVDs.

3. alric macrumors member

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

good advice, but to get the movies on the iphone, the OP needs handbrake. I actually use MtR to make a full copy of the dvd and then handbrake to convert that image to an iphone-friendly format. You can do it in one step with handbrake, but that would result in hours more use of the optical drive.

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Exactly. Use Mac the Ripper to rip 4 or 5 DVDs then set them all up in Handbrake at once. Using just Handbrake on its own is a waste of time.

6. alric macrumors member

For the record. The advantage of Popcorn 3 is that is compatible with ElGato's turbo.264 making encodings very fast. Before encoding it appears that Popcorn copies the DVD to a cache allowing you to remove the disc during encoding.

7. davidwes macrumors regular

Can you explain why you would use the mac the ripper and not just handbrake?

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Because with Mac the Ripper you can rip as many DVDs as you like and just set them all up in a massive queue in Handbrake and leave it.

If you just used Handbrake you would have to switch DVDs each time one of them was encoded which wastes time.