Possible to run FCP from external drive?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by vjaaan, Oct 19, 2010.

1. vjaaan macrumors 6502

One of my macbooks is running out of hard drive space. Is it possible to install Final Cut Pro onto my external hard drive and run it from there? It takes 45 Gb on space on my internal drive.

Also, if I wanted to move some of my previous movies (made with iMovie) to the external drive, is it possible to move them back to the exact same spot when I want to work with them? I know that iMovie won't be able to access them when they have been moved.

Thanks.

2. boch82 macrumors 6502

It might be possible to put fcp on an external drive but I would highly recommend keeping it on your internal drive. If you need to free up space move the content files to and external drive. That is where the majority of the 45gb comes from.

You are asking for trouble when trying to run applications off a external drive that require data to be in exact directories and location.

I've never opened imovie in my life but im sure there is a way to relink or reconnect the original media to a project.

3. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

Depending on how proficient you are in Final Cut Pro, you might be able to uninstall the other applications that come with it such as Color, Compressor or DVD Studio. The 45gb is not just Final Cut. It is the entire Final Cut Suite. I would highly suggest you NOT install Final Cut to an external drive seeing as it will run very slow (especially if it is a USB or Firewire Drive). You'd have to be running ESATA and then maybe you'd have a chance but you'd still be pulling your hair out. And yes you can move your iMovies back to the same spot just remember what folder they were in and don't change the file names.

4. Leddy macrumors regular

The event library in iMovie can be pointed towards any external drive, just click on the disk icon and choose the new drive you've moved your media to.

Cheers.