Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjrulli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Hello everyone,

Is it possible to install Windows 10 via Boot Camp and have the option to virtualize OR boot into it natively when necessary?

Thanks!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, I know several users that do exactly that - install Windows through Boot Camp, but also use the boot camp partition for the VM.
I know that Parallels has supported using the Boot Camp partition for the VM from the early days of Boot Camp (and early days of Parallels, too!)

cjrulli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Yes, I know several users that do exactly that - install Windows through Boot Camp, but also use the boot camp partition for the VM.
I know that Parallels has supported using the Boot Camp partition for the VM from the early days of Boot Camp (and early days of Parallels, too!)

Thank you! Is there documentation on how to accomplish this? Would I just install Windows 10 via Boot Camp first and then install and point parallels to it?

And just for clarity: this will give me the option to either virtualize the machine or boot into it natively for anything more intensive? I need to run SQL Server Express frequently and don't want to have to restart everytime but also want the ability to natively boot if I want to play a game.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I know there's information in the user guide for Parallels.
I just looked at the Parallels site, and both the "Getting started" and the User Guide for Parallels have sections dedicated to such use with a Boot Camp partition.
http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/resources/

I suppose other VM solutions, such as VMWare, will do similar.
Check for support in doing that at the site for whatever VM software you wish to use.
disclaimer: I have never used VM software other than Parallels.

About using SQL software.... I think that you can post your question at the Parallels support forum.
But, it looks like you would want to look at the Parallels transporter tool. That appears to be something that you would use with database/server functions.

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
Just to complement the previous replies: Yes, VMware Fusion will allow you to start a VM using a boot camp partition as a system drive too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.