Possible to run Snow Leopard in a VM?

cnstoll

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
Hey guys,

I'm excited about Lion but I have a small problem. I would like to still be able to play Starcraft and Diablo 2 from time to time, which will no longer be possible because they require carbon to run.

One solution I thought of was just keeping a version of 10.6 in a VM with either Parallels or VMWare Fusion to play them. Since they are fairly old games I am confident the performance overhead of a VM will not greatly affect them.

So, my question is, is it possible to install an older version of Mac OS X in VMWare Fusion or Parallels?

Thanks

labaom

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2009
I really don't see the point in upgrading to Lion if there are no good features.

cnstoll

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2010
I really don't see the point in upgrading to Lion if there are no good features.
Yeah that really didn't provide any useful information at all.

Thanks to others that posted. I'll probably try a VM first or otherwise just keep a SL partition.

mdnz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
The Netherlands
The Snow Leopard license doesn't allow that, thus it won't work in either Parallels or Fusion (without some hacks).

You can only use Snow Leopard server to legally virtualise Snow Leopard.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
The Snow Leopard license doesn't allow that, thus it won't work in either Parallels or Fusion (without some hacks).

My bad, good catch mdnz, for some reason I thought it ran in VirtualBox. Minus the legal issues.

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus

Really? I have Snow Leopard running in Virtualbox just fine. All you have to do is Select OS X Server in the VirtualBox window, slap in your SL DVD, and it works just fine.

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Unless there are custom Mac OS X drivers, I wouldn't be surprised if there was no OpenGL acceleration under a VM.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Its against the EULA to run 10.6 in a VM and vmware only will allow you to run OSX server (not the desktop osx). With that said, you can visit insanelymac which there are discussions in doing this.