Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pat100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2014
Using the Word app, on an iPhone 5s iOS 9.3.2, can I create a document, edit it, then save it to iCloud Drive?

I can't see a way to do this, so, is it impossible or am l being a bit dim?

I only want to use the Word app because it has the Mobile View which expands text using word wrapping. I can't find a similar facility in the Pages app so the text is either too small or I have to horizontally scroll expanded text (No word wrapping?)

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I'm not sure about iphone at the moment, but on ipad if you click export it goes to a page with onedrive, dropbox ipad and more. If I click more it opens icloud drive.

I'm assuming it's the same on iphone but won't know for sure for a few hours.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
I'm not sure about iphone at the moment, but on ipad if you click export it goes to a page with onedrive, dropbox ipad and more. If I click more it opens icloud drive.

I'm assuming it's the same on iphone but won't know for sure for a few hours.

Although it's true that you can get iCloud to appear in "More..." if you turn it on in Settings > iCloud > iCloud Drive, you can't actually save a document directly there. And it still is not in Word's menu of "cloud services". So, this is fubar currently, unless I've missed something.

pat100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2014
I looked further and it seems that you have to have an office 365 subscription in order to fully save files to iCloud Drive from within the Word app. Lacking that, you can only save to iCloud, files which you have already imported from iCloud. You can't save files which you have newly created in the Word app to iCloud Drive without that subscription.

You have to start the document in Pages, save it to iCloud as a docx etc., then open it from Word. Now you can continue it and/or edit it and then save it back to iCloud. Phew!

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Although it's true that you can get iCloud to appear in "More..." if you turn it on in Settings > iCloud > iCloud Drive, you can't actually save a document directly there. And it still is not in Word's menu of "cloud services". So, this is fubar currently, unless I've missed something.

This might be new in iOS 10, but there is a "send to iCloud Drive" option. Share > Send attachment > Send a copy

IMG_0071.PNG IMG_0072.PNG IMG_0073.PNG

Reactions: M. Gustave

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
I looked further and it seems that you have to have an office 365 subscription in order to fully save files to iCloud Drive from within the Word app.

I have a subscription. Still can't do it unless it was saved there first by another app.

Michael's workaround above seems like the best option until Microsoft fixes this deliberate (I assume) oversight.

pat100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2014
Michael Goff. Can I ask if you have an Office subscription and/or the Outlook app?
I don't see that option on my iPhone 5s though some of my other apps can send to iCloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.