Possible to select booting from Windows in OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by npriess, Sep 24, 2009.

1. npriess macrumors regular

Hi,

When I boot up in Windows 7 I have always restarted from OS X and held the alt key during startup.
    But isn't it possible somewhere in OS X to select 'restart in bootcamp partition' or something? :)

2. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

There is a little icon in the right corner of the taskbar that reminds of of a book standing on one of it's corners. Right click it and select restart in OS X.

3. npriess thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe I explained it in a wrong way - but I would like to boot windows from within OS X - is that possible? Instead of having to restart and press alt

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

No, you hve to restart with Bootcamp. However, with emulation software you can run both without reboot

5. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Have you tried under "Startup Disk" in system preferences? Do Bootcamp partions show up there?

Attached Files:

6. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

The OP wants to start up Windows while within OS X and run them both at the same time, I think...

7. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I'm not sure, he does say "restart in bootcamp partition".

8. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Well it's been answered either way.

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Try rEFIt. It will prompt you for a boot partition each time the computer starts, defaulting to the OS X partition if you do nothing for 20 seconds. It saves you from having to hold the option key, and from having to restart a second time if you forget to do so.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What you need is BootChamp.

It adds an icon to the OS X menubar that allows you to restart in Windows.

http://www.kainjow.com/

11. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I found an AppleScript somewhere on the 'Net (perhaps here, perhaps Doug's Scripts) that sets the startup disk to the partition you specify, and reboots.

When I get home to my iMac, I'll post it here.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

IF you want to run another OS (windows, linux, etc.) when OSX is running, then you need

- VMWare
    - Parallels
    - VirtualBox

13. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Okay, here's the script I promised, two lines long. I've separated them with a blank line below. Paste these into Script Editor, and substitute the name of your Windows volume and your admin password in the appropriate places. Then save with a useful name (I use "Restart To Windows" myself).
    ----

do shell script "bless -mount /Volumes/YourWindowsPartition/ -legacy -setBoot" password "YourPassword" with administrator privileges

do shell script "shutdown -r now" password "YourPassword" with administrator privileges

----
    This will immediately set the startup boot disk to your Windows partition, and immediately reboot. No, I don't have any "warning dialogs", so use with caution, or program your own (I'm a total AppleScript noob).

NOTE: The startup disk reset here is persistent. If you do a normal Windows restart after using this script to switch to the Windows partition, it will restart in Windows automatically, which is very handy for Windows Update and other software installations that require a reboot. You can then use the Boot Camp Assistant system tray icon to restart back to OS X, or hold down the Option key as per normal Boot Camp instructions.

14. npriess thread starter macrumors regular

I'll try BootChamp when I get home - thanks so far.

However, the boot camp partition does is not visible in my system preferences under start disk. Should it be?

15. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

It should be, unless you have installed NTFS-3g (see known issues).

16. npriess thread starter macrumors regular

I have paragon ntfs for mac installed.
    Along with MacFUSE which came with vmware fusion. Could this be the problem?