Possible to sell my iMac 2011 with Lion installed?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jabingla2810, Jun 20, 2012.

1. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Last year when I bought my iMac it came with Snow Leopard installed, and the Snow Leopard installation disc, but I have had it running Lion since the day Lion was released, which I bought through the App Store.

I am in the process of resetting my Mac back to factory settings, but I have just realised that Lion is attached to my Apple ID as it was bought through the App Store.

Is there any way for me to hand it over to him as a new Lion device?

Will the fact that it is attached to my Apple ID become a problem for him in the future?

Thanks for any advice!

2. leman macrumors 604

Well, you could reinstall Lion so that all your personal data is gone: Apple does not do activation a-la Windows, so Lion is not 'attached to your Apple ID. But more importantly: you are not permitted to transfer software you bought in App Store to another person (read the EULA). I mean, you still can do it (although your conscience will become dirty) - but the buyer won't be able to reinstall Lion if he or she did not purchase it from App Store separately.

3. Rlnplehshalo macrumors regular

I think that the operating system will stay as Lion, try deleting any apple id information stored on the computer (log out, forget passwords etc.) and try a restore so you get a fresh copy. I'm guessing only then you'll know if it worked:/