Possible to set up Apple mail/Gmail without downloading messages?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by StratoMAC, Jan 18, 2008.

1. StratoMAC macrumors newbie

Hello. I am new to the mac and have yet to set up my Apple mail account. I have a lot of large picture files that I like to attach to emails now and then, and I like that Apple's mail program has a resizing option so the receiver doesn't receive a HUGE picture file where they can only see a small portion of it. I would love to use Apple mail for sending these emails through my Gmail account, but I do not care to have my Gmail inbox messages downloaded to my hard drive. I have no need to work in email when I am not connected to the internet and I don't want to take up valuable hard drive space.

Does anyone know if it is possible to set up Apple Mail with my Gmail (and my Yahoo!) account in such a way that I can send messages through Apple mail but not have to have my inbox downloaded to my computer?

Thanks!!
    D

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

3. StratoMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? I totally misunderstood. I thought a main point behind Apple mail was that it downloaded copies of your email to your hard drive so that you could work on them while offline. Not true?

4. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Not true. Mail doesn't have to download all the mael. Someone else recently asked this, and I PMed them.

I'll send the same PM to you then :D

EDIT:
    It was you I PMed! Read your PMs!