possible to set up as new phone WITHOUT restoring to latest software

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by twisted-pixel, Oct 18, 2010.

1. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

as title really..I'd like to completely wipe the phone back to factory defaut, but I don't want to upgrade.

does the set-up as new phone option only work if you've restored to the lastest software?

I'm jailbroken so I guess I could revert back to 4.01 if necessry, but just thought I'd see if there was a way to do it without doing a restore etc

thanks

2. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Factory default is a clean install of whatever firmware version you can install (based on model and hashes saved). Using erase or reset content buttons on a jailbroken phone requires a restore afterward.

3. twisted-pixel thread starter macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

ok..so my phone is in DFU mode....which is fine, I can restore to 4.1, then jailbreak (using limerain or greenpoison)..

However, I would prefer to restore to 4.01...but since itunes wont let me do anything with the phone except restore, I can't do the right click and select my firmware..

any suggestions?

4. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

You dont' right click. You hold the shift key and click the restore button. This opens up a dialog box where you can select the firmware file to restore. You can therefore download 4.0.1 (use google to find one), and assuming you have your SHSH's set up for 4.0.1, you will be good to go.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You also need to edit your hosts file, since TU doesn’t work. Edit the hosts file on your computer (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (Windows) or /etc/hosts (Mac OS X)) and add this line to the end of it:

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com