Possible to show open windows in menu bar?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jmack549, Nov 22, 2008.

1. jmack549 macrumors 6502

Okay, I know this is a Windows type thing, but it's something I like when I Bootcamp into XP. I switch between windows a lot, and it's nice how on XP in the taskbar at the bottom all the windows are displayed.

I know I can do CMD + Tab, I know I can do the display all windows, but it's just a lot easier this way. I sit back in my chair a lot while browsing the internets and its easier if I can do it with my mouse. I was wondering if the active windows can be displayed in the upper menu bar, not the Dock, because mine autohides and it would be easier in the menu.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Short answer is no.

Why not set up a hot corner for Exposé's All Windows?

3. jmack549 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have it setup like that (top right), but it gets really annoying constantly flicking my wrist to the same place.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Sorry, can't help you then, there is no way to put open windows in the menu bar, unless there is an app that will list them all as a drop down menu.

Try this: WindowFinder

5. 11800506 macrumors 65816

You could also just download your mouse's drivers if you haven't already and select one of the buttons (such as the scroll wheel button if your mouse has one) for Exposé so that you don't have to move your mouse to a specifc hot corner. Once you get used to it I fine that Expose, especially in combination with Spaces are much better than the system on Windows. Having a dedicated mouse button certianly helps, so I know what you mean.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You may want to give this program a try - it seems to be an actual Windows-like taskbar.

7. Xavier macrumors 68020

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The dock only shows every window when they are minimized.

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Read the thread, OP doesn't like hitting the key or the hot corner.