Possible to still drop DATA from iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Neil1288, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Neil1288 macrumors newbie

I know this topic has just been beaten to death but I have heard conflicting answers from different people. I am ending my contract with Verizon in June and planning to switch with my family to At&t with myself alone likely buying an iPhone. Is it still possible to drop the $20 data plan if desired? (Personally, I don't see when I would ever use the internet unless I was in a wi-fi hotspot). Some have said this is only possible once you complain about the data plan via phone to at&t, and some say this option is just not available as it was presented in mid-November. Has anyone done this? If so, does using wi-fi count as data costs if you drop DATA. Also, I know you can download a program to shutoff the use of EDGE or wi-fi completely but does AT&T keep EDGE in use when you drop the data plan or is it off to avoid ridiculous run-ups in data cost? I know these seem like pretty ridiculous questions but I have been in the dark to at&t service in general. Thanks !

2. fedup flyer macrumors regular

If you drop the data plan, then what is the point of owning an Iphone....to look cool or something?

3. Cougarcat macrumors 604

What's wrong with you? Is it unconceivable to you that other people may have different needs? If you've got Wifi at home and at work/school, then spending $20 a month for a slower connection really doesn't seem worth it. The only thing you really loose is visual voicemail (which is cool, I must admit). I'm thinking of dropping the data plan myself when I get an iPhone. It's still the best iPod and phone even without the internet.

Now, to answer the question, yes, you can. On AT&T's site there is an option to cancel the data plan. But I think you may have to call them to actually block the Edge (that, or jailbreak it)--you don't want to be charged per kilobyte. If they HAVE dropped that option online (somebody check!) you could get a free phone when you sign up for AT&T, get the iPhone directly from apple and jailbreak it, and use your free phone's sim card and data-less plan.

4. fedup flyer macrumors regular

The word is inconceivable not unconceivabe. If you disable that data plan then your are missing the whole point of the Iphone....mobile data on demand. Of course I knew you would bring up the whole Ipod thing and how cool it is to have a merged technology.

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

That might be the "whole point" of the iPhone for you, but it's not the same for everybody. I guess the iPod Touch is pointless, then? :rolleyes:

(And unconceivable is a word.)

6. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

Is anyone using an iphone on at&t without a data plan?

A family member of mine has an iphone already, and there is no checkbox online to drop the data (like was posted back in november/december). Is the easiest way to get an iPhone without paying for data to unlock it, put my old sim in, and disable edge?

I don't want to pay $20/month, but it'd be nice to have an ipod and phone in the same device (less to carry around in my limited pocket space).

7. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

I think your best bet might be to have your family member telephone AT&T customer service (that's still a toll-free call, right?) and make an enquiry about this topic directly from the source.

It seems to me (as an outside observer in a country where the iPhone isn't available for sale yet) it was never really as simple as unchecking the box online, because that didn't have the desired effect of actually turning off EDGE; it only un-subscribed you from AT&T's unlimited data price plan.

If the phone still attempted to access EDGE on its own, at unpredictable times (eg to periodically try and fetch visual voicemail), you were simply charged the off-plan per-kilobyte rate, easily adding up to more than the $20 you would have spent on the unlimited plan. I seem to recall reading that to be fully effective, you had to call up AT&T directly and tell them to cut off the EDGE service from the source.

8. D3lta macrumors 6502a

It seems AT&T removed the option to cancel it online...

It's supposed to be like this, with an option to remove...

[​IMG]

... But it looks like this(this pic is from my account).:mad:

[​IMG]