Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
I thought 'home sharing' would sort this out but it either doesn't work or I am missing something. I have search the interwebs but I've been unable to work out how to do it or even if it's not possible :¬(

I have a bunch of my own ripped music in iTunes on my rMBP and I want to be able to stream this music to my iPhone on the same wi fi network. I know I used to be able to do this from computer to computer and I can't see why I should be able to stream it to my iPhone.

Possible or not possible?

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
Yeah I've gone through sharing but all it does is work with downloaded music it doesn't show up any of my own ripped CD's on the iPhone.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
Strange. I can play all of mine.

I got it!, I see where I was going wrong on the iPhone on the Library> Home Sharing page I just thought the red 'home sharing' was a title. Doh!, clicked on that eventually and then I saw my Library. Took me an hour though to try and load it, it just kept on and never finishing, if I left the page to do something else I'd have to start again. Then every time the phone went to sleep I'd have to start again. Ended up setting the phone to never lock, and left it for a long while. Working now.

thx

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
Strange. I can play all of mine.

OK I got it to work on my iPhone but it won't work on iPod Touch 6 gen with ios11, which is connected to the same network. The 'Home Sharing' button is just not there under Library. Apple say to click the 'edit' button in this case and add it but there is no home sharing to add in 'edit'. Home sharing is enabled in Settings, tried signing out and in again, tried restarting iPod but the 'home sharing' button still is not there.

This is for an iPod thats not mine on our network, so I then set up the other iMac that it is usually used on for Home Sharing to see if could at least share that Library, but again, there is no Home Sharing option in the Library of the iPod.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
UPDATE: just been on the phone to the engineers, seems that this could be an iPod bug, no Home Sharing button showing up on the iPod Touch iOS 11.0.3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.