Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevinakerberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2016
Crystal Lake, Illinois, USA
Hey everybody. I had a question regarding upgrading a 867MHz PowerMac G4 Quicksilver. Since third party CPU upgrades from the likes of Sonnet are either impossible to find or pretty expensive, I was wondering if it is possible to take the CPU’s from a dual processor MDD model or even from a faster Quicksilver like the dual 800MHz or dual 1GHz and swap them in? Thanks.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hey everybody. I had a question regarding upgrading a 867MHz PowerMac G4 Quicksilver. Since third party CPU upgrades from the likes of Sonnet are either impossible to find or pretty expensive, I was wondering if it is possible to take the CPU’s from a dual processor MDD model or even from a faster Quicksilver like the dual 800MHz or dual 1GHz and swap them in? Thanks.
A faster QS should work, but I don't believe the MDD processors are compatible. Both because of physical differences and the bus.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
As @eyoungren says, any Quicksilver CPU will work. I was going to caution that the L3 cache PROBABLY won't work if the computer didn't ship with it(there's some possibilities that I need to experiment with on that) but you won't have that issue.

Also, if you get a dual processor, be sure you get a heatsink to go with it.

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.