Possible to swap hard drives to slightly different model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dnickers, Mar 23, 2009.

1. dnickers macrumors newbie

Does anybody know if it is possible to swap a hard drive from one MBP to another and have all the applications continue to work? I'd rather not have to reauthorize all the software for a new machine, or deal with similar issues.

More specifically, I may be moving from the 2.53 gHz 15" unibody MBP to the newer 2.66 gHz (my girlfriend needs a computer, so I plan on giving her my relatively new 2.53 and getting the 2.66 for myself).

I realize I can use Migration Assistant / Time Machine, but I have a Bootcamp partition, and that requires an extra step - Winclone, recreating the partition on the new machine, etc. Not a big deal, but I'd rather just swap the drives. They would be the exact same drive, so there shouldn't be a driver issue.

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

that sounds pretty possible. im going to say that its going to work.

3. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

Yeah, you can do that. I tried that before, but there are so many beachball coming out. Even in Finder when you browse some files, you'll be fighting with some beachballs.

Tried that before.

4. dnickers thread starter macrumors newbie

"Yeah, you can do that. I tried that before, but there are so many beachball coming out. Even in Finder when you browse some files, you'll be fighting with some beachballs.

Tried that before."

Did the spinning beachball stalling issue ever resolve itself?