Possible to switch back and forth between 2G and 3G/3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Roy Hobbs, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Anyone know if its possible to switch between using a orginal 2G and 3g or 3GS??

Might be useful in situtations where for camping/biking etc...when I don't want to take my shiny new toy

2. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

Yes, as long as both phones have been activated and/or unlocked. I have a first-generation iPhone that I purchased used that is my back-up phone for snowboarding and other outdoor activities. I jailbroke and unlocked it and it accepts the SIM card from my 3G with no problems. I sync it via iTunes just as I do with my 3G though I choose a different selection of apps and music to go on it.

3. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

You shouldn't have to do anything to the phone other than swap your sim card (assuming you are using AT&T like you're supposed to).

You might want to double check your AT&T account when you switch just to make sure you have the $30 data plan when you go back to the 3G. I'm not sure if it will switch itself or not.

4. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Except that some iPhone updates (like 2.2) will deactivate your phone if your SIM isn't inside. So a properly activated first-gen that was in airplane mode with no SIM becomes deactivated if you update it. I learned that the hard way and just jailbroke it to activate it so I could continue to use it as an iPod Touch.