Possible to sync MOVIES with iTunes without syncing MUSIC?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JordanW, Dec 16, 2008.

1. JordanW macrumors newbie

Hi everyone --

I am on Windows XP. I prefer to use MediaMonkey to sync music to my iPod Touch (2G), which works very nicely. (I don't have a music library in iTunes.) However, as far as I know I HAVE to use iTunes to get MP4 videos onto my Touch.

The problem is that I can't sync movies over to the Touch without also wiping all the music I've lovingly copied onto it. iTunes won't let me sync MOVIES without syncing MUSIC (and since it doesn't have a music library, it wipes everything)

Anyone know of a way to force iTunes to leave all the music on the Touch ... untouched?
    Or does anyone know of a third-party app that will let me move MP4 movies onto the Touch without using iTunes? (like MediaMonkey does for music?)

Thanks!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. JordanW thread starter macrumors newbie

One would think that it works like that, but it doesn't. Even with "Manually manage music and videos" selected, disabling "Sync music" (under the Music tab) and then enabling "Sync movies" (under the Movies tab) results in the following message:

If you click "OK" and then sync, iTunes makes good on its threat: all music on the iPod Touch is deleted. (The movies do make it on, though.)

This problem is a real PITA. I would love to find a way to sync just movies (or just apps) without having iTunes trash my music collection.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

When you "manually manage" you drag and drop movies onto the iPod rather than syncing.

5. JordanW thread starter macrumors newbie

... and this works perfectly. Thanks for the tip.