Possible to test-drive Windows Phone?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Pjstock42, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Pjstock42 macrumors regular

Having played around for a few minutes with the HTC 8x at an AT&T store, I was very impressed with the OS and would like to learn more about it.

The problem is, I could only leave my iPhone 5 and the iOS ecosystem if I had some long term exposure to Windows Phone and knew how it worked as part of my everyday life. Unfortunately, it seems as though this is impossible as the only way to apprehend a Windows Phone is to commit to it big time up-front by purchasing one with a new contract or paying $600 for an unlocked model which is out of the question.

I feel as though this is one of the biggest roadblocks facing Microsoft in terms of making Windows Phone a success. i'm sure there are other people who are interested but don't want to take the full plunge into the Windows Phone ecosystem without some prolonged usage.

With Android, cheap and easily accessible devices like the Nexus 7 exist and allow people to try out Android for a minimum investment. Here's hoping that Microsoft can try the same thing or maybe they offer something similar that I am just unaware of...

2. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

ATT gives you 14 days to test drive. If you return the phone in good condition, they will refund you the money (minus a $36 restock free) and cancel the line you added for the test drive. No ETF. I just did this with a 920. So I basically payed $36 to test drive the phone for about two weeks.

Loved the 920 and WP8, but it was missing a few essential things so I have to wait for the platform to mature a bit.