Possible to transfer wifi to my comp?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Inukami, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Inukami macrumors 6502

Hey I use wifi for my iPhone and a cable for my modem. Is it possible to use the iPhone as a wifi connection for my computer? That way I could get data packets via wifi by iPhone and connect it to my computer by USB. Possible???? If so how? Application? Jailbreak?

2. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I think I've heard of it, but a simple search may render ye some results:D

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

nope, not possible
    all you can do is use the cell data network and connect this to your computer through the iphone via wifi, but this is not what you want to do

4. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Thats what I was hearing. Thanks

5. Inukami thread starter macrumors 6502

that's kinda odd that it can't be done because it's the same concept except your getting data from different things.

6. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

No it isn't. The Netshare app and other jailbreak options bridge the EDGE/3G connections between an ad-hoc WiFi connection, not a hardwired USB connection. I am not aware of anyone that has come up with a program that has this capability. You'll find it much easier to just get a WiFi card for your computer...

7. hotshotharry macrumors 6502

As far as i know, the iphone will not relay data from 3G/Edge/GSM/Wifi through usb ....

there are apps however that will let you share a cel connection over wifi :)