Possible to turn off Retina Resolution

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by guppy1000, Jul 30, 2014.

1. guppy1000 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Weird question...

Is it possible to turn off Retina Resolution?

I ask because there is some software I want to buy, but in the requirements it specifically states that the software will not display properly on Retina resolutions.

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

Download the app switchresx.

It allows you to turn of hidpi (=retina scaling) and change to any other resolution.

3. simsaladimbamba

The MacBook Air does not come with a Retina Display, and no, if you have a MacBook Pro with a Retina Display, you cannot turn it off in that way, since the pixels are hardware.
    The only thing you can do is using an extra software to use the whole 2560 x 1600 pixel on the 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display or the whole 2880 x 1800 pixel on the 15" model, but that will make all things quite tiny.

What application do you talk about? Normally the applications not refitted for Retina displays work fine, but a bit blurry, when used on Retina displays, since one pixel by the application will be displayed by four pixels by the display.

4. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

Correct me if I'm wrong but..

Won't the software still work, it just won't be as crisp as retina ready applications?

5. leman macrumors 604

You can turn off the retina resolution using either command line settings or an app like switchresx, as previously stated. However, it will either result in very small everything or rather blurry everything (compared to the retina settings).

OS X can enable/disable retina rendering on per-app basis. Right-click your app icon and check the 'Open in Low Resolution' box — this way the app will be drawn as if it were on a non-retina screen and upscaled to properly match the size of other UI elements. It will look blurry compared to the rest, but it will display properly at least.

----------

Not necessarily. If the app does some custom drawing, the display could be completely messed up in the HiDPI mode. Patching these things is trivial (provided the code is written in a sane way), but sadly, not everyone bothers...