Possible to undervolt a 13in MBP, yet?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reallynotnick, Jun 22, 2009.

1. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

So I have one of the new 13in MBPs and was wondering if I could use CoolBook or some other program to undervolt it. I wasn't sure as it is a new model but so little has changed I figured it might be possible.

Thanks

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Why? That would mean lost functionality or lesser RAM/FSB/CPU speed?

3. reallynotnick thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, underVOLT not underCLOCK. You get the exact same speed with just less power running to the processor, so it runs cooler and you get a slight bump in battery life. Only thing you risk is becoming unstable if you undervolt it to far and then you would get a kernel panic.

4. TheWart macrumors newbie

Yes, I am undervolting with Coolbook.

Have both the 2261 and 2128mhz frequencies set to 1.0 volts, with the ones below each one voltage step lower.

I haven't had much time to test and go lower, but I have yet to have any sort of crash/freeze for the past 3 days at these settings. I haven't done a thorough stress test, but I have been extracting and zipping a lot of files, doing lots of ichat video conferences, and watching a few 720p movies.

5. reallynotnick thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks so much TheWart! That's exactly what i wanted to hear! Guess I am going to buy CoolBook now.