Possible to Unlock new iphone 3g?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by OtterRise, Mar 30, 2010.

1. OtterRise macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I'd be very thankful if i can get some professional advice on my situation.

Here's my situation:
    A year baack i bought a iphone 3g. the night i got it i successfully jailbroke it perfectly. I'm some what of a techy so I generally know what i'm doing.

Just yesturday i decided to buy another iphone off a private sales. It's still a 3g, only thing is, this phone is 1 month new.

The iphone comes from Fido and my sim is with Rogers, switching the sim over didn't work so i knew i need to unlock it.

problem is..
    The iphone firmware is 3.1.3 which i have successfully jailbroken without a problem using snowbreeze.

the baseband is 5.12.01
    and bootloader 5.09
    these 2 is where my problem arises. I can't seem to unlock because of this.. I've heard the Devteam is working on something to get around this, but that might take a while.

Is there anyway I can simply get the phone to work with a different sim?

I was thinking restoring the factory default and putting in a 3.0 firmware and then proceeding to jailbreak then unlock that firmware. could that be done?

Thanks for any advice you guys might have.
    Much appreciated.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not at the moment. You cannot unlock it on the latest baseband 05.12.01
    Also downgrading the firmware does nothing to the baseband. Once updated it's done.

3. OtterRise thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks.
    that saves me a good hour if i decided to try it.

So i guess my best bet right now is to just leave the phone on the shelf till I see a unlock for 5.12.01 from either the dev team?
    or a downgrader for bootloader 5.09, since fuzzyband only works on 5.08 and older?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Pretty much.
    Its a waiting game for now or you can use it as an ipod touch till a new hack is out.

5. OtterRise thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok that sounds wasteful.. sorta. but i don't have any other options so guess i can't and wont complain.

how should i keep updated on my situation though? Google "iphone baseband 5.12.01 unlock" every once in a while?

or is it another problem else where? I hate how i can't keep updated through google filtered by article dates..

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Keep an eye on this site once in a while.
    Tools, tutorials, download links and details info will be there.
    http://blog.iphone-dev.org/