Possible to Unsync iPad apps on iTunes without removing apps?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by PrayForDeath, Jan 3, 2012.

1. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

I have a large number of apps, and my iPad is synced with my PC. Thing is, every time I download a new app on my iPad, I have to transfer it to my PC before I can sync again, and the itunes folder is getting increasingly large. I want to stop syncing my iPad, but if I uncheck the Sync Apps button, it says it will remove all those apps from my iPad.

How can I unsync the apps on iTunes without removing them from the iPad?

2. PrayForDeath thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Dav1 macrumors 6502

I take it you don't have iOS 5 installed, or 5.0.1? With either of them installed you could choose to sync to the cloud, and do what you want. With a 4.x iOS I do not believe you can. You could try, making the change, and then pulling the USB connection... That might result in the lost of one or two programs, that you might need to reinstall... But I **think** that if your timing is right your remaing programs would be un-synced. It could also set you up to delete all your programs the next time you rebooted, :(

It would help to know what iOS you are actually on. To the best of my knowledge there is no official way to do what you want, with iOSs before 5.0

4. PrayForDeath thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Dav1 macrumors 6502

Then have you tried | Settings | iCloud | Storage and backup | iCloud backup (on) | you should get a confirmation pop up that tells you that you will no longer backup to your computer. Then tap backup now. If I'm not mistaken you will then find that sync in iTunes is no longer checked....

You can then turn off iCloud Backup, and you should remain unsynced in iTunes. Or select what you still wish to sync to iTunes.

Hope that helps...