Possible to update imac using MBP restore DVD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by oacory, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oacory macrumors regular

Okay I am asking this a possible question and not a legal question.

I have an Intel iMac running Tiger and an Intel MBP running leopard. I was told by a friend that I could use my Leopard restore disks to update the iMac so they both were running leopard. I am unsure if this will actually work since they two different computers running two different OSs. The reason I am curious about this because I catching the SL bug and want to tinker with it a little bit once it come out and I do not want to buy the Box set since I already purchased iLife 09 for my MBP and I use Microsoft Office for Mac plus it seems like it will be around $170. I do not want to update my MBP because it is what I user for school and work along with being the thing I take with me where every I go.

Please advise me. I just want to know if it is possible and if anyone has done it.

2. gothamm macrumors 6502a

3. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

To answer your question, no it will not work. The restore disks are machine specific. An iMac restore disc will not work on a MBP and a MBP restore disc will not work on an iMac. Simple as that.

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

it's not illegal, because you simply can not do it. The MBP restore disc will only work on that machine. It was set up just for that machine. If you want to update the iMac, you'll have to get a retail copy of 10.5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.