Possible to update rMBP nvidia 650M GFX drivers?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by randomnut, Mar 13, 2013.

1. randomnut, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013

randomnut macrumors member

Hi,
    Is it possible to update the os x graphics drivers for the 650M in the retina MBP?

Installed Starcraft 2 heart of the swarm yesterday and am getting hideous framerates (10-20). I'm sure the machine is capable of more than this, I was getting 60+ in Wings of Liberty although the fps in that has now dropped too. Tried resetting the SMC in case it was that but no dice.

In the latest drivers for windows it says it has important updates for HotS, but can't find any mac drivers anywhere.

I'm not keen to bootcamp and run the game on windows as windows looks either terrible (in lower resolution or with increased dpi) or absolutely tiny on the retina screen.

2. Jinzen macrumors 6502

What settings for HoTS?

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

That's because Apple provides the drivers for OS X, not NVIDIA. Your only options are to wait for OS X 10.8.3, which is supposed to have updated drivers. If those don't improve anything, you may have to resort to Boot Camp.

4. Speedy Gonzalez macrumors regular

Everything in OSX runs like crap even old games I recommend bootcamp if you want to get the best performance, you can tweak windows to look good adjusting fonts and dpi and browsers work fine with a couple addons too ;)

5. randomnut thread starter macrumors member

It is just strange I was getting 60+ fps on Wings of Liberty and that has dropped to 10-20 as well, so definitely seems like a fault. HotS is running in mostly medium settings.

I have installed a build of 10.8.3 from around a week ago to see if the graphics drivers in that are improved any but still getting around the same. I wonder if it is the games running on the HD4000? How can I tell specifically if they are running on that?

I have set the power settings to 'do not switch' so it should always be running on the 650M but I have read that with certain issues even setting that does not force it.

6. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Install the program gfxCardStatus. It's free and runs in your menu bar. It will show what GPU is running.